SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_231067475

SF Windows/Doors - Milgard fiberglass or Sierra Pacific H3 or Marvin

kaya
2 years ago
last modified: last year

SF Bay Area contemporary house getting new windows and sliding doors along with new exterior siding Hardie board install for better wildfire/smoke protection and energy efficiency. Existing original bronze aluminum windows (sliders) and especially West-facing sliding patio doors worn out and leaking rain and air. Prefer thin frames and black interior and exterior, but best performance (least air and water infiltration) is most important. We live in a windy valley, and winds howling through in the last two years have been increasingly strong. Rain and hail are blown sideways into and against the three 96" X 80" sliding patio doors (two downstairs, one upstairs off the main bedroom) and soaking through to carpeting and wood subfloor. Not nice.

Which is the better sliding door choice, or what brand and line instead and why? Milgard just changed its warranty as of April 2021, that's my great timing right there.

New windows will be casements and casement/pictures whatever the material, for best seal against wildfire smoke. (Yes?) What was your factory quality when delivered, and how were defects/flaws handled and by whom? Over time, how have they held up--failed spacers, paint, huge deal breaker that you didn't see? Our current choices are argon, tempered, SunCoatMAX® Low-E3 Glass for the energy and $ savings.

Compromised bronze aluminum garden window in kitchen is a problem child - don't want vinyl but would consider vinyl garden window if black interior were possible. Or can I/should I replace with another bronze aluminum garden window (is that allowed under Title 24)?

No experience with aluminum clad wood windows and doors, worried they will require maintenance and/or painting despite AAMA 2605 powder coating in black bean.

• Anyone have experience with the "upgrade to tandem stainless steel ball bearing rollers for added corrosion-resistance, great for coastal areas." Would this be a needless expense?

Fiberglass sounds like its a decent fit for our house, comes in blk/blk -- but I don't see a ton reviews for the Milgard all fiberglass, weird because it seems like a great material without the downsides of wood. Is that wrong?

There are better/more expensive "lines" in Milgard and Sierra Pacific -- and perhaps I should go with the more traditional aluminum clad SP line (I've heard H3 described as "builders grade" is that apt and does it mean it's inferior) for the West-facing patio sliders? Marvin Modern looks pretty sweet but beyond budget.

Should I also consider Milgard Thermally Improved Aluminum | A250? Can I?

Please weigh in with your experience and expertise. I've scoured all the pertinent window discussions I could find, but value input even if you might have said it elsewhere. (Respectfully, not looking for a company sales pitch though.) Totals are 26 casements, some pictures, 3 8' sliding doors and 1 6' sliding door.

I also have random questions which may sound silly, like even if Title 24 allows me a choice of thermally broken aluminum frames, do they leak more or less or the same as plain aluminum?

Thanks.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County