SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debby_ab

Back to work

Debby
2 years ago

It's been nice, having the past 4 1/2 months off work and I really wasn't looking hard for work because a HUGE part of me wanted the entire summer off, but I still handed my resume out for over 30 positions since losing my job. I've only received 3 weeks of EI and yesterday I got a voice mail from a courier company saying they're looking to hire me as they got my resume from a government funded program that EI uses. I instantly had a panic attack. My stomach literally turned to knots. My chest started hurting and my hand shook like crazy. I CANNOT drive for a living. Yes, I *can drive, but not for a living. Why?

1. I'm terrified of dogs. If I had to deliver to residential areas and they have a dog, I would have to skip the house
  2. I will NEVER drive downtown. When I do go downtown my husband drives, or I'll take city transit. Our streets are SO stupid and jam packed full that there's no way I'll be able to drive through there for any deliveries
  3. I HATE driving. I go to work. Sometimes I go to the store. I come home. That's the extent of my driving.
  4. I will not drive on the highway. Yes, I'm that person who doesn't like to drive 100-120k an hour. And if the person ahead of me is driving lower than the speed limit, I'll stay behind him rather than pass on a 2 lane road because even as a passenger, passing scares me.

I was scared if I didn't call her back EI would cut me off. I tried 4x but it kept ringing busy. Then I was afraid if she did answer and I said I simply cannot do this for a living, she would tell EI and I would get cut off. What to do???

I already had a job interview this past Monday. And about 20 minutes after I got this recorded message, I got another interview for Saturday. Now, I really did not want the job that I went to for Monday. And the interview for tomorrow is across the city and can take 1/2 an hour to get to. So an hour in traffic every day on a good day. Winter roads would be much longer. But it was 30-40 hours a week, compared to 2 or 3 shifts a week at the closer place but still about 15 - 23 hours a week.

I got another phone call close to dinner time last night and I let it go to voice mail. (I hate answering the phone LOL). I told my husband the place I interviewed already for just called. If she offers me the job, what do I do? It is a lot closer to home, it's for a company I've worked for for 22 years already so I know the job, but it's less hours. He said, "take it! Your time is money. The gas saved alone is money in your pocket and you know the job, you're comfortable there." While it's another location from where I worked, and I've only ever met the manager I decided he's right: I need to go where I'll be happy and I can always pick up shifts when someone calls in sick or just needs a day off. They're paying me less than my last location, but more than they could have paid a new person with no experience with the company and exactly what I was hoping for. I will have to be trained for a certain aspect of the job while I have had the same position before, the computer program is all new and I don't know that part. But give me any other part of the job, or another position in the store and I'm a rock star! :) My last manager gave me a really good reference (I heard she really didn't want me to lose my job but had no say in the matter).

So, this is my last weekend of total freedom. The upside is I'll have more days off than on and I'm good with that. As long as I make enough to pay the few bills I have, I'm good. I've learned I can live off of very little as I still have 90% of my severance pay which should have only lasted 5 months. With me not buying lunches every day, filling up my gas tank every week, not shopping in the store I work at DAILY, I wasted a LOT of money working. LOL

Today will be a busy day: Costco to buy a box of disposable masks and the garlic powder I forgot last time. Clean my vehicle out. Trim the lilacs and hedge. All things I thought I had all summer to do...

Off for now!

Comments (18)