SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonyjanice_martino

Peninsula lighting struggle

Hi All,

This is my first post! I have spent a lot of time reading others and there is always good advice!

We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel that started out as a quick countertop update and ended up taking out a wall. :-) Where that wall used to be will now extend a peninsula that will run between the dining room and kitchen. The peninsula top is slated to be 30" wide and 72" long. No sink or cooktop is involved, just a beautiful piece of soapstone with workspace on the kitchen side and an overhang on the other side with some stools. I would like to have pendant lights (probably two, maybe three depending on how big they are) over the peninsula but have run into an issue with a joist in the ceiling that runs lengthwise directly across what would be the center of the island. Placing electrical boxes on either side of the joist would bring the pendants off-centered.

I have explored a few ideas which don't thrill me. We can hide a box in the adjacent plumbing chase and run a track across the ceiling in the center of the island with pendants hanging down. It would work but I'm not thrilled with the track lighting look.

If I were to offset the pendants, would I try to center them on the workspace side or the seating side?

I really can't provide pictures at the moment, there is nothing there! The ceiling is partly open. the floor needs to be patched and the countertop is awaiting my measurements for fabrication. So much for a small project!

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Anyone who battled a similar problem and has pictures of their solution would be amazing.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Best,

Janice

Comment (1)