SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jpmom

HELP! Island Lighting & Peninsula Lighting.

jpmom
8 years ago

We have FINALLY started our kitchen update.

My electrician removed the island light as well as the track/pendants over the peninsula this week.

He is coming back next week to cut out the ceiling so he can install the boxes for the new lighting.

The peninsula will stay the same (sans track) and have three lights

For the island, I'm at a loss. We are increasing the top size by 12" to incorporate an overhang. Dimensions will be 40" x 75". The island top will be Vicostone Carrara. Bottom will be a soft black.

Perimeter cabs will be Simply White. Granite counter stays the same.

All new SS appliances - with a 42" chimney hood and tile wall (to the ceiling)

The bar area will match the island.

Here are photos of the current layout:

As you enter the kitchen — cooktop wall will be tiled to ceiling with a 42" SS chimney hood. Island painted black with white quartz top.

another angle:

From the back door/sitting area — fridge wall - new Double oven/warming drawer. Cabinets will be simply white - and be taken all the way to ceiling.

Peninsula and sitting area in background — notice the pendant there. It's a oil rubbed bronze stem and the shade is made out of wood. I'm willing to change this - maybe to a flush mount or something. (I don't want this light to dictate the kitchen)

And FWIW, here is my dining room, which is off of the kitchen. We just hung the chandy — and it will be lowered 6 inches. (I wasn't home when he hung it)

QUESTION

For the island — do I do two pendants? OR One fixture? (but I don't want a repeat of what I had; feels like a pool table light to me)

I'm drawn to a lot of the lighting by Hudson Valley Lighting (a bit on the pricey side for my budget - but I'd consider the splurge). — I'd love to find less expensive ones, if possible.

Here are some I like — this would be two pendants — no more than 15" wide:

Then, the next question is, what do I do on the peninsula? I'd like to keep those really simple. Don't necessarily want to do matchy matchy.

This is hard!

He is dropping in the boxes next week - so the first decision is — one light or two lights over the island.

My concern is that I'll have too many hanging things - 3 pendants over the bar, 2 pendants over the island and then that other pendant in the sitting area.

HELP!!!

He'

Comments (13)