SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ghows_sadayan

Skylight over the bed or opposite the bed

Ghows Sadayan
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am very interested in installing 2(?) Velux fixed skylights with darkening shades in the master bedroom. Why? I want to see the sky.. I don't really need the light, the room has decent windows, but I could use a tad more light as well. (See photo).

The house front faces south, so the vaulted ceiling opposite the bed faces the south west and the ceiling over the bed faces north east. Till 5 minutes ago, I wanted the 2'x4' skylights opposite the bed on the South west side, but I'm wondering if it's better off with smaller 2'x2' skylights over the bed. The vaulted part over the bed is not as long and wouldn't accommodate the 4 feet long skylights. Do I places the skylights beside each other with no gap or leave 1 rafter gap (24 inches) between them?

Option 1: 2 2x4 skylights opposite the bed, facing South-west

Option 2: 3 2x2 skylights over the bed, facing North-east

Option 3: Any other suggestions?

I'm also closing off the "Office" at the front of the house and that prevents the light from the office windows from brightening up the front half of the house. I'm thinking of installing a 14" Solatube (see floorplan) to get more light. This would have the light collector on the front of the house, and I'm interested in the flat collector instead of the dome. Any thoughts or suggestions on the Solatube? Would this provide enough light to brighten up the Dining room/foyer area?

Comments (14)