SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Gritty Mix or Other Soil Mixes in Raised Beds Connected to the Ground

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have been experimenting with using container soil mixes in raised beds connected to the ground. For an Azalea or Rhododendron, that might mean an acidic bark soil in a large raised mound above clay loam soil. For a small area with a succulent display, that might mean putting five inches of the gritty mix above the clay loam soil over the entire display area. Questions:

* The usual thinking is that if you connect the raised bed soil mix to the earth, there is no perched water table. But is that actually going far enough? Is it maybe also the case that in a raised bed the soil mix in the raised bed might have its water sponged away by the relatively drier earth underneath? This came to my attention when planting gritty mix over clay loam soil. Gritty mix is already a very dry mix. But it seems to me that the gritty mix above clay loam soil might be even drier. What would be the reasons for that? Or should it be the opposite, that the clay soil below holds relatively more moisture, and it might help to keep the drier gritty mix soil above it more hydrated?

* For a plant that likes drier soil - like a succulent or cactus - what is the argument for just building a raised mound with your normal clay loam soil and planting the succulents well above ground level? Water will never pool around the roots of the plants on the raised mound, but the soil will hold onto water much longer than the gritty mix, and will have poorer air space than a real container soil.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner