SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robyn_jefferson

HELP! New to succulents, soil has insufficient drainage, gritty mix?

Robyn Jefferson
6 years ago

I need some help! I'm new to succulent parenthood and I have an addiction in a bad way. I've been collecting them within the past month and a half.
I live in Nova Scotia, and I have been finding that it is very difficult to find different varieties of succulents and succulent supplies .

Most of my succulents have come from the local hardware store, and are in particularly pathetic shape, missing leaves, dropy, etc, but no abnormal colouring.
Last week, I bought some cactus soil (unfortunately, Miracle Grow was the only brand I could find at the moment) and a bag of perlite. I mixed it in equal portions, as I've seen many people recommend that as a basic succulent mix. I cleaned the old soil from the roots of the succulents and then left them for three days before I gave them a nice deep water. All of my pots have drainage, and I'm trying to get them all into breathable terra cotta, however, several days later the soil still feels quite wet and some of my succulents outer leaves are starting to yellow and feel a wee bit squishy. I know this is a drainage issue, and I'm freaking out! I don't want to kill them!! Oh, goodness, I would cry!

Can anyone help me figure out what a better soil mix would be? Its been quite rainy in Nova Scotia and the air is quite damp, so I'm thinking I need more gritty soil. I don't want to have to outsource materials, because shipping gets quite expensive.
I've sourced out places to get a different brand of cactus soil, and perlite. I've found that I can buy chicken girt at a local feed store, and finely mulched fir bark at the petstore in town. On Amazon I've found an affordable place to get coconut coir and clay pebbles. I've searched online for turface and pumice, nothing in the province, however, I did find a product called Qualisorb at Canadian tire, which I have seen some people on here using in place of turface.

So I was thinking of trying the bark, qualisorb and chicken grit at a 1:1:1 ratio. Any suggestions for me? And should I remove my succulents from their pots and let them dry? In the meantime, I've got them in a room with a dehumidifier running in an attempt to dry the soil faster. Thank you so much for any help or suggestions! I've got some plant mail on the way and I want to make sure I've got a soil mix that works!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Comments (15)