SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

The lack of a defined bed edging makes perennial beds look messy

bindersbee
17 years ago

True or false? I love perennial beds and that cottagey look but I'm finding that I'm getting really uptight about edges. What do you think is the best 'edge' for a bed? A clean, crisp cut lawn edge? Some sort of minimally visible plastic or metal barrier? Do you prefer stone or brick or is a uniform line of some edging plant (like Lirope) the most attractive to you?

It just seems to my eye that a crisp edge gives a look of organization to the wonderful floral chaos that can hide other sins. The lack of it, to my eye, makes the whole thing seem poorly maintained even if there isn't a weed in the bed. It almost seems you're better off to put the energy into maintaining a good edge and letting some weeds go in the beds themselves than to do the opposite. Opinions?

My personal preference of for a minimum 2' wide walkway between beds and grass where the perennials can spill out over the walk a little to soften the edge but the edge between the walk and lawn is still straight and crisp.

I've included a link as an example of what I'm saying. Of course this path is beyond my budget but you get the idea.

{{gwi:208465}}

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor