SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debby_ab

Speaking of throw aways..........

Debby
2 years ago

We live in a time now where everyone wants the newest gadget. I bought a 3D Curve Samsung tv. I think we've had it at least 7 years now. Back then it was THE thing to have (we rarely use the 3D function unless we are watching a dvd that is 3D). Not long after it came out, the 4K tv came out. And now 8K. There was a news story on last night about all the electronic stuff that cannot be recycled and ends up in the landfills. Why not give manufacturers an incentive to make their products last much longer rather than making everything new and improved? I have a deep freezer that I bought second hand 30+ years ago that is still going strong (knock on wood...). My fridge and stove are 21 years old (knock on wood they keep going...). My vehicle is a 2004, my husbands a 2010 I think. We've never owned brand new. My living room furniture is 13 years old. I've never had a brand new kitchen table and chairs. As a matter of fact, for 30 years my kitchen table was a converted work bench: we kept the bottom part, took off the table part and replaced it with a varnished sheet of plywood. Besides saving a bundle of money, we pretty much bought hand me downs for almost everything. I had a co-worker who replaces her living room suite every two years! She said they fall apart too fast: they don't if you learn how to actually sit, rather than PLOP in a couch.

How often do you replace things in your home? Such as living room furniture. Dining room furniture. Bedroom furniture (btw: my dresser I had given to me 30+ years ago second hand. My husbands dresser we paid $5 for and my nightstand I bought used as well). Vehicles? Do you buy new and why? I ask this because they lose value the second you sign on the dotted line. And if you take good care of your car, it'll last a long time: mine so far 17 years. And what do you do with the old? Sell? Give away? Dump?

Comments (38)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm