SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_cardona33

Guava tree pruning/training to tree shape

Kevin C
2 years ago

Hello everyone, please see the photos. I just received and planted this mexican guava. I am trying to grow this as a tree as opposed to a bush. However the plant I received from an online order does not have an obvious central leader and indeed has some weird turns that make it crooked. Would I be able to prune it this soon after planting (just a few days) or should I wait till in puts on some additional growth? Part of why I want to do it now is so there is enough time for the tree to put on enough growth after pruning before it gets cold in the winter. Last year I pruned too late in the year and there was an odd early freeze at 27F. For reference I am in zone 9B/sunset zone 14 in the bay area. I have seen trees like this doing well in San Jose so I know it can be grown here, I just timed the pruning wrong last time - young tree right before it got cold. If I should wait, how long do you recommend? My concern is the tree putting in all this effort into growing parts that will be removed anyway, seems kind of pointless.

I would like to prune off the branch that is tied with the green tape as it is competing with the taller side of the tree that is growing more upright and would probably make a better candidate to be the leader stem. But another issue I see is the bends in the stem. It seems this tree/bush was pruned quite randomly without an objective in mind other than keeping it small. Could a stem with sharp turns like this support the weight of a tree? If I get lucky it could get around 10ft tall. Thanks!

Kevin

Comments (4)