SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lplantagenet

Wild Rose Season

lplantagenet7AVA
2 years ago

How many here grow species roses and which species do you grow? Which wild roses are the earliest bloomers? Most of mine bloom later.

Here is my list--all except two Rugosa alba seedlings are either in bloom or about to bloom now:

Repeat-blooming species:

R. moschata plena--one of the first roses I ever bought--once believed lost, but found in various southern cemeteries, including Hollywood in Richmond. My plant came from Monticello in 2004.

Single musk--I raised it from seed of the double musk. I have heard that the Musk does not self-pollinate, but this rose is identical in every respect to the parent, except that it bears only single flowers. I see that HMF gives "the Crenshaw Musk" as one of its names--that would be because Hollywood's Musk is in the Crenshaw plot.

I would never want to be without the musk rose--one of the best, most fragrant, and most reliable repeat bloomers I have.

R. Bracteata/MacCartney Rose-- just beginning to bloom and also reliable. Like the Musk roses, it will continue to bloom until the onset of cold weather. Large elegant , single white flowers with golden centers. WARNING: An aggressive spreader--plant only where you can control it with the mover.

R, rugosa alba seedlings--will let you know how these turn out, They have been languishing in pots for years and never do anything--in a better location now, so I hope for better results. If not, they will be gone.

Once-bloomers:

R. eglanteria--I had three of these, two raised from seed, the third from a rose that was supposed to be own-root but turned out to be grafted on the briar. Two were destroyed in a storm; the third has languished in an overgrown area for years until I brought it into the European section before the snow and ice last winter. Growing nicely now--I hope it will bloom next spring.

R. wichurana--in bloom now--makes a good ground cover, but plant in the right place because it will continue to spread and eventually cover a large space if not controlled

R. setigera/Prairie rose--last to bloom of my once-bloomers--one or two buds opening now

I also had a Cherokee rose grown from seed, but decided I didn't want another rose as thorny and aggressive as McCartney so removed it while I was still able to get all of the shoots.

Same for a native rose which became too aggressive in a place where I couldn't control it.

I have another type of native rose growing along the edge of a wooded area which I plan to bring to the European section in the fall or winter; I think this one is smaller and probably less aggressive, and that it will bloom in early June rather than May. The first rose may have been the swamp rose and this may be the pasture rose. This one has rounder leaves while the leaves of the the other were longer and more pointed as I recall. I would be glad to hear from anyone who is an expert on wild east-coast roses.

Lindsey

Comments (2)