SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Weed ID? *********

Well, I'm guessing it's a weed. One of those that you swear is "something" when it's little so you let it go...

Any ideas?

(needed 15 characters for title (why????) so added asterisks!)

Thanks!

:)

Dee

Comments (30)

• linaria_gw
    2 years ago

hm

fitst thought was Ambrosia, but that is much finer

could it be some kind of Hibiscus? where does it grow, a garden or somewhere in the landscape?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Possibly Rudbeckia laciniata.

• Related Discussions

mushroom ID, and terrarium weed ID?

Q

Comments (1)
    Here's the fern-like volunteer, as described above.
    ...See More

Plant/Weed ID (on weeds forum)

Q

Comments (5)
    There are many species of Epilobium, some of which have had name changes, like the fireweed. Some are native, some are introduced weeds. There's only one fireweed though, by whatever name. Watson's willowherb is a common garden weed, I think it's Epilobium ciliatum now, used to be Epilobium watsonii. Dry or damp, sun or shade, tall and rank or short and sparse. Seeds, no runners. The one in your garden is probably the Watson's although you may also have others like Epilobium minutum in dry spots. I'm sure bboy is much more knowledgeable about the various species than I am, I usually do well enough just going by 'Epilobium species'. What you have in the photos on the Weeds forum sure look like Watson's willowherb gone to seed. They've done really well this year with the cool damp spring. But the photos do need to be larger to really see. I'm just guessing from the silhouette.
    ...See More

Weed ID--weed or aster?

Q

Comments (11)
    Did a post disappear? I thought there was an earlier post about mugwort. Jay, thank you for the comment that some asters are weedy. That aspect was confusing for me. I tend to think of natives as fighting against invasives or aggressives. This aster is in my shade and in my sun. I have one "trash" bed that welcomes all plants that can handle it. Other than taking care of the horrible ivy, standard grass weeds, and occassional goutweed that pops up, I'm assuming from hidden roots and/or birds from a widowed neighbor who has a smorgasbord of goutweed throughout his whole yard, everything is welcome. Glad to see calico making strides there. I should be able to let it flower and then before seeds ripen either pull up unwanted ones or deadhead to control spread in some areas.
    ...See More

Weed ID, please.

Q

Comments (3)
    ^^^ And I'm thinking he's right!! 😊
    ...See More
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Not Ambrosia artemisiifolia but perhaps Ambrosia trifida? I've never seen that species but I believe the lobing is variable. It looks a bit too furry for the Rudbeckia and I can’t think of any kind of Hibiscus it resembles.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So, I'm not up on plant lingo, lol, so forgive me if I use the wrong words. I googled Ambrosia trifida and from the images I'm finding, my weed looks like it has longer leaves, less rounded leaves, more "points" on each leaf, and more serrated edges.

But, whatever it is, it looks to be indeed a weed, and if it is Ambrosia trifida, then I discovered that that is ragweed, so it's gone. Too bad, as the foliage is actually rather pretty. I too had originally thought it might be a rudbeckia when it was tiny, and there are rudbeckia in this bed, but apparently I was wrong.

Thank you all for your help!

Dee

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    2 years ago

I would leave it until a flower bud shows (says a person who has raised plenty of weeds thinking they were something better lol). I don't think it's ragweed, it looks like it has alternate leaves and not opposite as in ragweeds. I'd suspect some kind of rudbeckia.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maybe I'll let it go a bit longer.....

Dee

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Good call on the leaf arrangement. I didn't spot that in the pictures.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well I think I'm glad I waited to pull these. It looks like it may indeed possibly be a rudbeckia. Seems like it's taking forever to set bud and bloom. And an awful lot of foliage for so few buds. Hopefully in another day or two...

I have several annual rudbeckias in this bed but don't recall ever planting one like this.

Dee

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    2 years ago

Do I sense a brand new and patented DiggerDee Rudbeckia on the horizon, winning awards for its beautiful bloom, disease-resistance, and pollinator benefits? I can feel it just around the corner...

• corunum z6 CT
    2 years ago

Dee - I've have used this website with good results. Plant ID

Unfair maybe, but I took a screenshot of your picture, ran it through Pl@ntNet and it said this:

Hope that was okay by you. It's a good website, IMO. Happy blooming!

Kindly,

Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago

Nice resource. Thanks Thanks, Jane

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Jane, of course it was fine. Fingers crossed its the r. laciniata. I haven't looked at the site myself yet, and the photos you posted are small, but i do think it most resembles the r. laciniata.

Deanna I couldn't be so lucky lol. But you reminded me of a funny story. Years ago our group of CT gardeners here on this forum had two swaps a year, and one year someone brought me a white lilac. We would arrange some swaps beforehand and label the plants with the person's name, and other things we just brought and everyone shopped. While most attendees were folks we all knew or new-to-the-forum people who introduced themselves and stayed and ate, drank and chatted with us, there often were a few folks who came in, didn't talk to anyone, grabbed stuff, and ran, and we never knew who they were. At the swap with the lilac, someone took the lilac that had been labeled for me. Another swapper said, hey, maybe we can find the person when someone posts on the forum with a question about a DiggerDee Lilac. We figured since that was the name on the lilac, they'd think that was the cultivar!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago

How about Helianthus divaricatus?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 years ago

I don't think Helianthus divaricatus has lobed leaves. I think this plant is probably an unusual sport of Rudbeckia triloba that has longer than normal ray petals. Hybridization between Rudbeckia is rare or maybe nonexistent, and there are no named hybrids listed, even though their ranges overlap so much. If you still suspect it's a hybrid, can you get a photo of the involucre? It could help, but I still think it's just an unusual mutation of Rudbeckia triloba. Everything about this plant fits into the parameters of the key. This plant has a 3 lobed leaf, whereas Rudbeckia laciniata has leaves with 3 leaflets that are lobed. And laciniata flowers are different with green disks. I'm not totally backed up with facts, and this is just speculation, but as far as I know, most Rubeckia cultivars are the result of discovered natural mutations, or the discovery of isolated populations that have mutated to their surroundings. They aren't the result of hybridizing. Henry Eilers discovered his rogue colony of Rudbeckia submentosa growing along an abandoned railroad track here in Illinois.

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    2 years ago

See? We’ve got a DiggerDee Lilac hiding out somewhere, and now this Rudbeckia. One day I’m going to brag that I knew you *before*….”Oh, yea. Digger, she and I are totally tight. Like, we connect every week.”

(I hope the forum counts as ”connecting.”)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago

Jay, the lastest photos with the flowers don’t look like the leaves are lobed. That is why I suggested an alternate.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 years ago

Babs, I did notice that the last pictures of the top of the plant looked very similar to Helianthus divaricatus. That would have been my guess too, if I hadn't already known about the lobed leaves. I don't know about NH, but that woodland Sunflower is very common around here.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Jay, is this what you wanted to see?

Sorry, you guys know a lot more about botany than I do - I had to look up what involucre meant lol. What's the difference between a mutation and a hybrid? I'm guessing hybrid is a mix of two plants, whereas a mutation is a different growth pattern from the original. But what causes a mutation, and will this mutation return? I'm still trying to figure out how this happened, so since I had triloba in the garden a mutation would make sense, but curious as to how a mutation occurs.

Thanks for your knowledge and patience.

Deanna, don't worry, I won't forget you little folk. And yes, the forums definitely count as connecting!!

Dee

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 years ago

Thanks for the photo Dee. The underside of your flower matches Rudbeckia triloba, and it's very different from all the other species mentioned. There is a lot of variation in petal lengths

with this Rudbeckia. They can range from 8 - 30 mm. If these are self sown the offspring can all be different, and some will have longer petals.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago

Dee you are right about mutation vs hybrid. Some mutations are stable but some seem to revert, at least as far as what we can see expressed in how the plant grows.

• sw_gardener
    2 years ago

Rudbeckia triloba. It's a bi-annual that can bloom first year. I have them and they seed around nicely but not aggressively so. Second year plants form a big airy mass of flowers.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

sw_gardener do your triloba have that pointed petal shape and configuration? The ones I had in the past (up to this year) were more like this:

That's why I wasn't sure what it was.

Dee

• sw_gardener
    2 years ago

Mine lack the pointed petals🤔. I couldn't find the comment but I think someone previously suggested it might be a hybrid? The flower almost looks like it crossed with a wild R. hirta.

What's the plant form like? Typical triloba is about 4' tall with a cloud of blooms.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 years ago

Rudbeckia triloba has a lot of variability in the ray petal lengths. I think that is the reason the petals happen to be longer on this plant. Not a hybrid or a mutation.

You can measure the ray petals and if they are longer than 30mm,then we can explore whether or not it's a hybrid. The characteristics of this plant are completely triloba, and no characters of Rudbeckia hirta are showing anywhere, except the petal length which is similar and a coincidence.

Rudbeckia triloba

I have a triloba plant that's 2' and blooming, and another triloba that's 8" and blooming. Depending on conditions they can typically be all different heights. Helianthus divaricatus has yellow-orange disk flowers, and not brown 'eyes'.

So this chance variation doesn't happen often, so maybe 1 out of every 500 plants has it, or even less. It's like having three kids and one of them a whole head taller then the other 2, same deal.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks sw and Jay. I'll go out later and measure the petals (a little shy of the garden at the moment since I got stung 10 times by hornets last night!) I am enjoying these plants but have to admit I like the triloba I always had in the past, that had the rounder, more closely aligned petals. I've been letting these self-sow for years; perhaps I will sow some new seed next year and see what I end up with from each.

Dee

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay, I've finally decided to step foot in my garden - hesitantly lol. Just not going near the veggie garden where the hornets are, although I have to say my triloba are uncomfortably close to the veggie garden! So I measured the petals and they are about 2 CM, which I believe is about 20 mm. So I guess that's that.

I did notice, however, that there are plants with the blooms I am accustomed to, the smaller, more tightly spaced, rounder petals, some right next to the other plants (see below). Hmm, I'd have to go and look again, but I believe these "regular" triloba are shorter than these new ones. I have to say I prefer these with the rounded petals.

Either way, I'm happy I never did pull these. Enjoying their exuberance. And they just happen to be lined up along the back of the garden so it's a great backdrop!

Dee

• sw_gardener
    2 years ago

The variation in bloom sizes adds a nice contrast.

• gdinieontarioz5
    2 years ago

It looks like another thing that sets these apart, is that the petals “reach upwards”, instead of being a bit reflexed, as is usual with R. triloba?

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmm, this didn't post the first time so let me try again. As I was saying, lol, you're right, gdinieontario - I hadn't noticed the difference in the way the petals curve!

Dee