SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Help with no grass front yard, please.

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This bed in the front of our cabin has had me flummoxed from day one. When we bought the place there was a huge raised bed in a circle made from the river rock. It was full of this plant called chameleon plant that a friend of mine who is a horticulturist told me was extremely invasive and the only way to get rid of it was to burn it. So I have spent the past 3 summers pulling and spraying and finally this year haven’t seen any of it. So the center bed is basically just mulch at this point with one plant. The beds around the perimeter are pretty much done. They are shaded as each section has a tree anchoring it. The center is full sun. I was originally thinking I needed a pathway through the bed, but it is not really walked through, we usually just walk on the driveway and not through the bed. I was at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens last weekend and liked how they had large beds with different plant groupings. So now I’m thinking I just fill the bed with interesting plants like a display garden I guess. The rocks that are now defining the beds are there to help with water runoff so they really need to stay.

Here is an overhead shot taken before we owned the cabin or cleared out the over plantings and the center raised portion. The cabin on the left is the main cabin, the cabin on the right is our detached carriage house with an apartment above that family and guests use. The big road on the right of the pic is the public road.

This is a pic showing the center bed in grey, the maples in purple.

A basic sketch.

Here are some current pics.

From the front steps of main cabin looking out to mailbox and road.

From across the road. That is an arbor we added.

From the corner near the carriage house

From the arbor looking out to the road. ignore the 3 big square rocks, those are parts of a bench. Not sure where to put it.

And from the center of the cabin looking out to road.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (18)