June .....what books are you enjoying this month ?
5 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (70)
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Discussions
June in the month of June
Comments (19)You are so right wilderness what is not to like as far as the June family . I have a bed of June family plants and all are as nice as the other. I have two June and both are completely different in color tone, one gets more light then the other but both are just in their second year so not super large yet. I can hardly wait to see them large!...See More~~june queen of the month~~sue g/sguanzon
Comments (34)I received boxes from Maryanne and from Debbie on Friday! I opened Maryanne's to find festively wrapped Happy Birthday items - mini first aid kit (good idea I'm always poking myself - lol!), montbretias mixed bulbs and pecan brittle (nummy!) and PLANTS! a rose of sharon, yarrow, sedum, mint (smells wonderful) and a tradescantia - this looks just like one I lost last year - was one of my favorites - this is perfect! and Victoria Secret bodysplash and cream, a Hallmark mag (never seen this one - thanks) and a Garden design mag (beautiful) and a kitchen towel with a gardening angel on it. Thanks so much Maryanne! Debbie's box included a home sweet home plaque (went right up in my kitchen), a bouncing butterfly hanging (haven't seen these - really neat), a parrot flag, a frog on a rock (I actually have two smaller ones like this and I put this guy in the middle he fits right in!) and a beautiful large sturdy garden tote full of garden tools - thanks so much for the thoughtful gifts, Debbie! It's still great to be Queen!...See MoreNEW: June *Princess of the Month~Diene~*
Comments (36)Hello Susan; You should have said something during your birthday month. I know some lobstermen and I also know some people who have FedEx accounts. I probably could have taken care of your lobster fix. They have become expensive now and will be until the middle of July because they are molting now and do not move around much so the catch dries up. End of July, beginning of August, remind me, I will check it out and let you know. They can be sent live and will live 24 hours or can be cooked and sent and will last much longer. We can talk about it. On a much more exciting note, I recieved a wonderful box from Nancy (cedarnest) today. It had lots of bulbs and a beautiful decorative plate. I did not have a chance to disect it because we were rushing out the door to get on our new boat. That nearly turned disasterous as the engine died out in the Atlantic and Bush arrived today so the Coast Guard first told us they were too busy to come and help. The company we have contracted with to assist us in just such an emergency refused to come because of an approaching storm. The story goes on and on sounding worse by the minute but then some friends we called said they would come tow us in, the coast guard called back and said they were sending a 47 foot boat out and a third boat showed up with a backyard mechanic on board who fixed out engine as our friends arrived to tow us in. We did not see the Coast Guard, they did not make it in time and we did make it home under our own power with our friends following in case we had trouble. Needless to say it was almost dark by the time we arrived home and the storm never materialized (thank God) but I made myself a drink and dinner and came to visit. I think I am getting too old for this. The only good news is that was the third life threatening situation for DH. He tipped his kayak about six weeks ago and I had to drag his butt and kayak to shore, then he crashed in an airplane but no injuries and finally we bobbed along in a dead boat in the Atlantic for two hours this evening. He keeps trying to say we were never in any danger but I think he is nuts. I am on drink number two so please pardon grammer and spelling. I will end this now. I am well but very tired. Talk to you tomorrow. Thanks again Nancy. diene...See MoreJune, a Month of Leaves and Roses and Reading
Comments (79)Been working my way through a pile of books that I just have to get back to their rightful owner, plus one of them would make good fodder for my monthly book review column that I do for a local rag. The Perfect Storm is a YA epistolary novel based on the real-life Galveston hurricane that happened in September 1900. This was actually a really good read, and in fact, the descriptions of the "I was there" POV of the lashing of the rain and the winds and the utter destruction that was the result was really powerful, as when I put down the book to let the cat out, I opened the door fully expecting it to be rainy and windy, instead of 100 degrees that it was. (Sigh. This might also have been linked with the fact that we haven't had any measurable rain in the area since last October. Wishful thinking.) The other book was called Breathing, In Dust by Tim Z. Hernandez, which is really a series of short stories (more vignettes, really) of life in a poor urban Hispanic neighborhood of LA. Each story/vignette can stand on its own, but when read as a group, you can see threads of various stories and characters throughout the book. Although I didn't enter the book with very high expectations, it was still a good book and it's likely that the author made it pretty autobiographical. Like I said, I enjoyed it but it did seem rather as though it was a thesis or dissertation from a graduate writing program. So, as a complete change of pace (and being heavy with guilt from having too many books on the real-life TBR pile), I pulled out a Ruth Rendell book of short stories which I have had in my possession for absolutely ages. Titled Piranha to Scurfy, it is a really good collection of short stories that cover a wide range of topics. Not a murder in them (so far), but more of the unexpected twisty tales of Saki or perhaps The Twilight Zone... Thoroughly enjoying this one. And in the spirit of cleaning up the TBR pile, I pulled out the NF Stuff:Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost and gail Steketee. Starting off with famous Collyer brothers in NYC, the book has started really well, and I am looking forward to reading it with gratitude that I am not a hoarder (nor is any of my family). I think it would be tough to handle. So - that's my weekend ahead of me. Reading, reading, reading. (I hope. I do have the MIL in town, so there may not quite as much time reading as I hope...)...See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

HISTORIC HOMESDuring National Book Month, Tour American Writers’ Homes
Explore the houses that inspired famous tales and poems, and the places where authors worked
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEIt’s National Book Month — Give Your Reading Spot Some Love
Let these cozy nooks and light-washed corners inspire you to make your reading space special
Full Story
LIFEA Month-by-Month Guide to ‘Downton Abbey’ Withdrawal
Missing Lady Grantham’s zingers? Edith’s furrowed brow? Romance simmering downstairs? Here’s help to get you through until season 6
Full Story
SHOP HOUZZThis Month's Bestselling Outdoor Lounge Sets
Enjoy the summer sun from one of June’s most sought-after seats
Full Story0

MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSJune Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Make the most of warm weather by freshening up, paring down and enjoying your home's outdoor spaces
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESGreat Lakes Gardener's June Checklist
Hear the berries beckoning? Pluck them while enjoying the wealth of garden blossoms and maybe kicking out a few bugs this month
Full Story0

GARDENING GUIDESCalifornia Gardener's June Checklist
Update your hydrangeas, catch up on tomatoes and more ways to enjoy your California garden in June
Full Story
ENTERTAININGBeyond the Book Club: 10 Creative Groups to Start With Friends
Let the good times roll while you enjoy shared interests like wine tasting, preserving, crafting and cooking
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your June Home Checklist
Get your house ready for summer with a mix of maintenance musts and breezy room refreshes
Full Story
EVENTSDesign Calendar: What to See and Do in June 2012
Enjoy the outdoors at a rootftop art installation in New York or a London festival, chill in the darkness of a movie theater and much more
Full Story0
vee_new