SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_762241884

Help deciding on proper insulation for 2x4 Remodel in NC -Elevation 4k

Anthony
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My wife and I bought our dream vacation home: It is a wood frame ranch style home built in 1985 that is undergoing a complete renovation down to the 2x4 studs. The home is located in Highlands, NC (technically a rain forest with 90" of rain last year) with an elevation of 4,000 at the top of a mountain. In a normal situation, we would use spray foam (I forget if it would be open or closed cell) and be done.

However, there is a caveat. I have a lung disease (Cystic Fibrosis) and have respiratory sensitivity to some items. There are repeated stories about people having reactions to spray foam and having to vacate the house permanently. Given my health, we are terrified that our dream home could become uninhabitable for us and we would have to sell after a 1 year renovation.

The builder has proposed a solution of Flash & Batt but has never done that on 2x4 and is concerned about the effectiveness. The alternative is spray foam.

What can/should we do? How do we determine a path forward? We have to make the decision soon.

Thanks in advance

Comments (6)