SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

rugosa struggling with fungus, should I try a systemic?

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a Buffalo gal/Foxi pavement rugosa in a spot in my front entryway. It came with the house and has been there for almost 20 years. It struggles and I think the latest problem it has is a fungus. I'm not sure but it is very black looking and cracked at the base, that's where the canes seem to die from. I'm no expert, but I think it might be stem canker . . . I've tried starting fresh from cuttings last year but I'm not able to give the roses the conditions they need to sprout. Plus I think the fungus might have been detrimental even to the cuttings. Or else I just suck at doing cuttings. I pruned the rose down too much for cuttings this year anyway. I've watered it faithfully, given it a shot of Mg from Epson salts each year but it just doesn't thrive. I've also searched for a replacement, can't really find one and I would think putting a new rose in that spot of the same type that got the fungus would not be a good idea.

So at this point, I either try a systemic fungicide like Bonide, or just let nature take its course. I hate to tear it out, in its heyday it was iconic for our home, but I don't know maybe this fungus will spread to other roses in my yard? This is the only rugosa I have. I have a couple of minatures in the back, a floribunda and what I think is some type of climber, it was a "no name" special my Dad bought years ago at Walmart. I sterilize any cutting tool I use when I prune the roses.

Two photos below, the rose in its heyday, and a photo of it struggling behind my little flower garden, before I pruned it. The front area around the house has a rock mulch, this rugosa has its own cleared spot and I keep it well watered and fertilize with rose fertilizer. But the heat from the rocks is not ideal I know. The area around the rose isn't rocks, I cleared them away from the base of the rose to about 2 feet all around. It's kind of a case of "Can this rose be saved" or better to tear out before I lose all my roses.

Comments (24)