SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sincerely_kristen

Cedar vs. Treated Wood // Fencing - 10 year plan

Sincerely Kristen
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello!

We are getting quotes for lumber to build our own 4' spaced picket fence and of course cedar is more expensive. Trying to figure out if it's truly the better option (i.e. worth the investment) for our preferences and lifestyle. I'm looking at doing everything (i.e. pickets, posts, and rails) either in cedar OR treated wood. I'm not planning to mix and match, unless using cedar for posts and rails isn't a good idea?

I'm hoping to hear from folks that have experience with fences made from these materials and also from the pros. We've never had a wood fence before so I don't know what to expect in the long term.

Time: We plan to be in this house for a minimum of 10 years.

Style: Spaced picket fence, Dogeared, and natural look (i.e. no white paint).

Finish: Natural (stain vs. sealer?) My one request is *no* paint, so whatever finish that leaves us with... I'm not hung up on keep cedar looking "new" - I'm ok with the aged wood look. In fact, I'd rather the fence blend in with the natural surroundings vs. stand out.

Size: pickets to be ~ 3.5-4.0" wide, ~ 4' tall, and ~ 1" thick (probably 8' runs and 4"x4" posts)

Before anyone says it... I really don't like vinyl and truly prefer the look of real wood. So if I have to do some maintenance... so be it. I'm just trying to find the "lowest" maintenance set-up with regards to wood. ;)

Any and all insights are much appreciated!

Extra: I've seen the "fence post protectors" (slide on barriers) online. Do those really work? By that logic, couldn't I just use some of my left over green-guard (aqua-defense) and paint the bottoms of the posts prior to setting? Just spit balling.

Comments (13)