SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

US favors undermount sink; other areas like top mount (less chips)

julieste
2 years ago

I've been reading about kitchen sinks here and have also been reading the Australian Houzz forum. There are differences of opinion on this topic depending on the area of the world one lives in.

Here in the US it seems that if one wants to be in style, one has to install an undermount sink. As far as I can tell, the primary reasons are the aesthetics and the ease of sweeping crumbs directly into the sink.

Other areas of the world seem to think a top mount is preferable because it protects the edges of the counters surrounding the sink opening from chipping. Plus, people talk a lot about the gunk that can collect in the area between the counter and the undermounted sink.

In reality, how much edge chipping risk is there with an undermounted sink? I am about 95% certain I will use Carrara marble.

Top mounted sinks don't esthetically offend me, and I'd be fine with one. Plus I have never had an issue with gunk around the edges of a top mount which is something so many people here seem to comment on. I guess I need to add in that I have done tons of international travel and know first-hand that what is popular or considered normal in the US often isn't regarded that way in the rest of the world.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (24)