SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steven_rosenberg100

Funky Air Conditioning System - sometimes blows warm air

Steven Rosenberg
3 years ago

Odd problem, the AC works most of the time. However, at least once a day, usually when 8 change the thermostat setting, the system blows room temp air. The fix is to turn the unit to off and wait until everything shuts down and then turn it back on. All is good. Here is a description of the last two restarts:

1. 2 nights ago it was cold and the heater was on for the night. In the morning the sun was bright and temps rose. I switched the thermostat to cool. I would expect the unit to turn off for a few minutes then restart with blowing cold air. What happened was the fan turned off, but the furnace still hummed, and some room temp air came out, then the fan turned on. No cold air. So I set the thermostat to off. Waited until the furnace itself turned off, then set it to cool and all was fine.

2. Last night it was warm at night so I left the AC on all night. I dropped the temp 2 degrees for sleep comfort. I think he morning I raised the temp 2 degrees. Again, I expect the system to just turn off. But had a repeat of the previous day’s issue. The fan turns off, but the system keeps blowing warm air and then the fan turns on. Setting the thermostat to off until everything shuts down and then turning it to cool fixed the issue.

Any ideas? Please note, I just upgraded the thermostat, and it is the same problem with the old and new thermostats.

Comments (10)