SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lorenelson

Fireplace makeover - stone, slab or tile for this tall brick fireplace

LMN LMN
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Additional comments:

Thanks for all of the great comments! (please disregard everything around the fireplace - we temporarily moved a number of items to this room that are temporary.). I agree that the paint is too peachy for the blond fireplace, but since we are going to reface the fireplace, I've left it as is.

We have thought about this for years, and the following is the case:

(1) We want to cover the brick (I just don't like it) even though so many people think it is beautiful.

(2) We don't mind the expense of refacing it.

(3) If someone has experience refacing fireplaces, can they weigh in about the advantages and disadvantages of the following?: stone slab, stone tile, porcelain tile?

(4) We are open to colors that are warm (and so complement the ceiling) and I'm partial to something like bluestone or a "ribbon fireplace"

Attached are photos of some of my favorite materials. Comments?

Thanks for your help!

We don’t like brick and so are planning to cover the brick fireplace in our vintage 1970 home with some sort of stone or tile. Any suggestions for specific stone or tile that would look really great on this double high fireplace in a living room with clerestory ceilings? We want something striking and do not mind the expense of replacing the brick. Thanks!

Tigers eye - too bold?

Limestone fossil

Porceilain tile

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5921854/picked-out-porcelain-tile-for-fireplace-surround-having-2nd-thoughts

Bluestone - 1

Limestone ribbon

Bluestone - 2

Bluestone - 3

Bluestone - 4

Comments (16)