SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kweisensel

Doorless shower conundrum - help!

Kathy
2 years ago

I'm in the design stage of a full master bath reno. Here's the design as it stands right now:

Our contractor thinks a doorless shower is not possible because of the shower size (it will be 5' x 3'). It is not a curbless shower, and we'll have a standard, non-tile shower base. We're doing cultured marble on the surround. LVP waterproof flooring in the bathroom.

Our contractor is suggesting the following options:

- expand the pony wall, leaving only a 24" opening to the shower.

- have a shower door as pictured in the rendering below:

- ditch the pony wall (and hidden niches behind it) and go with a sliding glass door.

I think a 24" opening with a wider pony wall will look silly (and not symmetrical to the room size, which will drive me batty), not to mention it's an accessibility issue for any future owners of my house.

The shower door just feels all sorts of wrong. The towel hooks will naturally be on the left wall, meaning you'll have to open the shower door, walk out, close the door, and THEN grab your towel. Noooo.

A sliding glass door, to me, is just way more maintenance/cleaning than I want to deal with. Also, I've read that these can be messy, too, since there's no real attachment of the door bottom to the base.

We're just doing a rain showerhead and hand sprayer, which I would think would cut down on splashes. We'll have a nice bath mat outside the entrance, so maybe it will get a little wet but is this really a problem?

Contractor says no door = voiding the flooring warranty, which... I don't know. ?

Has anyone done a similar job? Similar sized shower with a doorless design? Any other ideas / thoughts / opinions?

I'm really hoping to ditch the door since it was, to me, an integral part of the original design.

Thank you very much!!

Comments (35)