SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenacres32

What do you spend on clothes?

Anne
2 years ago

I have to be very on at work. At home I wear sports clothes that are inexpensive.

i need some new work things for spring amd I am trying to add to my wardrobe and be affordable. What is affordable to you? I keep getting 200 plus shirts / blouses popping up!

Comments (47)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

I'm one who likes to go to stores to try it before I buy it. While I don't work any more, over the years, I've done very well at Macy's with their sales. Also at my age, I've become a fan of Talbots which can be more $$ but with their sales and coupons, you can find some good quality clothing at better prices.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I seem to be lucky at Loft and Gap. I also peruse the department stores. Most of my clothing comes from online shopping as I am a petite and there is a limited selection in the store for me.

I have never added up what I spend. But, I do only buy items on sale and try to wait for free shipping. I usually do not have the minimum. I really don’t need anything. It’s more for freshino up and trying to stay a current.

Things are added every few weeks. I enjoys just browsing the websites as a distraction.

• Related Discussions

What do you do with damp towels/ wash cloths?

Q

Comments (6)
    You have many more towels than I do so this may not be helpful. When I come home from the gym I put the towels in the dryer for a few minutes, then I put them in a place away from the other clothes to wait until I have a load of similar items. This minimizes stinky wet towels sitting around and helps keep the germs contained. While I use my bathroom towels more than once I don't like to use gym towels again - never know what is growing on them. If you do hang them up wet be sure there is adequate ventilation in the room. Not just to the rest of the house but to the outside. For drying clothes I use a drying rack I got at QVC. It is called the Hangaway drying rack and it can hold a lot of clothes and towels while still leaving room for them to dry out. It might work for you depending on how much room you have.
    ...See More

Dish cloths & towels - what do you do with them?

Q

Comments (46)
    Oh he's so cute! He'll be a great towel critter. Congrats on the new countertop, post pics when it's all in! I probably should have picked a different animal so I didn't copy robin d's towel pig idea. But he just spoke to me because I have had a thing about pigs my whole life and collect them. I don't have them all out, don't like the clutter. But a few of my favorite ones grace bookshelves and mantles and tv consoles throughout the house. Towel pig just fit in so perfectly! But if I found a Towel Robin, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!
    ...See More

What do you spend on groceries??

Q

Comments (34)
    It's just the 2 of us, but we manage to spend about 75 a week. Do you still have PX privilages? Not to hijack your thread but here are some of the things I do to keep my costs down. First, look at your grocery receipts and make a list of the stuff you buy there.. do some comparative shopping and see if the basics are cheaper elsewhere.. other groceries, dollar stores, etc. If you know what you buy regularly and at what price, you'll be alert to buy when on sale. Try store brands instead of national name brands, some are made by the same company. Do more from scratch cooking, you won't be paying for someone's labor. Learn to drink water from the tap, squirt some lime/lemon into it..stop the soda addiction.. snack on something cheaper like homemade popcorn, toss some parmaeson cheese on it.. Check out local library for cookbooks, or online look for frugal foodies...Keep a list on fridge of what's in there and the freezer..so you don't have to toss out leftovers or out of date stuff..
    ...See More

Do you ever FIB about how much you spend on roses?

Q

Comments (43)
    Toolbelt- I love the RBU theory !! I'm stealing it! This is our second year together and first garden together. He asked if I needed those square linking tomatoe cages @ $10 ea. Now that they're up and have plants inside he said they're neat and sturdy. Hahaha! I am lucky that he rarely questions my purchases and I don't question his. BUT if he ever says anything again, I now have Toolbelt to thank for the RBU ! Oh, you want a new motherboard? Well that's 15 RBU's. LOL Alameda- if your SO doesn't already have those square tomato cages, it would be a great gift for a veggie gardener :D
    ...See More
  • Ded tired
    2 years ago

I buy a lot at Talbots. I find much of their clothing has a certain dorky quality, with too many cute additions like bows. I prefer very tailored clothes. However I can always find some basics at Talbots and bought a lot of my suits for work there. The quality is decent and the prices are not outrageous. They often have sales and coupons.

I hate clothes shopping even though I like nice clothes. I haven’t been to a mall in awhile but my regular stops were Bloomingdale’s and.Nordstroms ( the less expensive departments).

• User
    2 years ago

Cold Water Creek & Soft Surroundings are two of my favorites along with Ann Taylor's Loft.

• nhbaskets
    2 years ago

Talbots is my go-to store. I most buy online. They have great sales. Sign up to get their emails. While constant, you’ll find out about sales including flash sales which save $$.

• hallngarden
    2 years ago

Clothes from Ann Taylor Loft are a great fit for me. I always buy if I find a good fit . Being 82 , 5 feet tall and size 4; its a good day when the length is perfect. Not sure of amount I spend. Usually just updates for my closet.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

One way to save money on a work wardrobe is to plan it so it maximizes versatility while minimizes pieces. Check out https://www.theviviennefiles.com/start-here/  where she goes through how to build a capsule wardrobe. You probably already have a lot of pieces that would fit the slots and it could help you ID what you may want to add to give it a refresh.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

I'm generally a thrift shop person, so I don't tend to spend a lot on clothes. We have a few good shops around here, and a couple of nice vintage boutiques that are reasonable and well stocked. Sometimes I get something new at TJMaxx or Meijer. I buy undergarments/intimate apparel new, but nothing fabulous or expensive. My most expensive is my shoes- I have to wear orthopedics, and do spend the extra bucks for nice ortho shoes.

• bpath
    2 years ago

I have to try on clothes, just can’t buy online unless I am getting the exact same thing I already have. Okay, maybe a different color. But, I hate trying on clothes, it’s so frustrating. It got too exhausting to go around to all the department stores to see if they still have a Petites department. Lord and Taylor used to have a pretty good one. Talbot’s is my best choice, but their collection isn’t that big. Good sales, though. I’ll hit Kohl’s for tees (but they shrink) and jeans.

In the past year and a half, I’ve only bought shoes. I needed shoes to go with the dress I wore to my mother’s funeral. The dress was a Talbot’s hand-me-down from my aunt two years ago.

• nicole___
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I stick to basics, JC Penney's had black tights & dark grey for $3. Tunics with cutouts($5), a few tailored jackets(2nd hand). Dollar Tree solid colored white & black T-shirts for under everything. A 2" wide man's leather belt...mini dresses purchased off season are great tunics. Born black leather riding boots($179). Born leather sandals, generally under $100, strappy & Roman soldier looks. Black flats. Bear Paw sheepskin boots($179). Jewelry finishes a look. (I can generally find upscale brands for pennies on the dollar shopping 2nd hand).

I read a post where a woman admitted to wowing clients when she wore her leopard print sleep wear ......long pants-long sleeved top set, she'd purchased for $8.99 on a Marshalls sale rack.

Collectively, I actually spend more on my husbands clothes. They need replaced every 6 months.

• chisue
    2 years ago

Homebody here. It's been a long time since I was fashionable -- or needed to be! I've always liked more classic clothing and have done more donating than buying for years now. Yesterday I wore a pair of Calvin jean that I bought twenty years ago at a discount mall. I can date them because the store was near the furnished apartment we occupied while waiting for our home to be built. It was rare for me to be buying anything not house-related at that point. (My other shopping bags contained plumbing and lighting fixture brochures and tile and paint samples.)

My favorite long warm robe from Nordstrom's is even older. Last year DGS shortened it to accommodate my two inch 'shrinkage'. When I bought it I was 5' 6".

My annual budget numbers have shrunk to almost nothing nothing in the Clothing and Travel columns while inflating enormously in the Medical Insurance, Dental and Prescription Drugs categories.

Hard to believe it, but I now own only eight pairs of shoes and six purses! I'm one step from Bag Lady.

• Sisters in faith
    2 years ago

Husband and I are both retired. I dress very casual. I also live in a small

farming community. I can assure you, no one is making any fashion statements.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

We are retired and both of us volunteer a good bit but we wear very casual work clothes for that (my work is in the greenhouse and outdoor plant related). I am also on the Garden Board so I occasionally have to attend meetings now instead of via Zoom so dress business casual for those. I am 5’9” and wear a size 8, sometimes a 6, and it is very hard to find anything but separates that fit correctly.

I recently tried to find a dress to wear to an outdoor graduation ceremony and believe me it is near impossible. My style is fairly traditional, but not Talbots. Their clothing doesn’t fit me properly, nor does Lands End. I have fairly good luck with Anthro, Ann Taylor, Loft and a few others, but selective styles. I also shop deep sales at Nordstrom and Neiman’s. Lately for my volunteer wardrobe I have shopped Duluth. Very sturdy and comfy clothing and I always size down there.

• caflowerluver
    2 years ago

I have always hated clothing shopping, especially the trying on part. I have shopped Macy's or Amazon online for years. I like the great sales on the Macy's site. When it come to jeans I just buy the same brand and style over and over.

• joshuasamah
    2 years ago

I have good luck at White House Black Market. It can be pricey but lots of sales and now that I am on their mailing list lots of coupons

• marilyn_c
    2 years ago

Less than $50 a year, except I wear good shoes, but I buy them on eBay. I get most of my clothes at yard sales. I spend many multiple thousands on horse, cat and dog food.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I bought zero clothes last year except for a pair of expensive Nikes online. I buy all my clothes at TJ Maxx or Marshalls and the Community store which is a high-end thrift store. There I get high-quality perfect looking expensive clothing that people outgrew or tired of. Everything on their racks is perfect because they check with a fine-toothed comb and then donate the unacceptables to overseas.

• nickel_kg
    2 years ago

I'm retired, and for the last few years of my working life, jeans and plain shirts (t-shirts ok if no pictures or words, lol) were acceptable. So it's been over a decade since I've shopped for 'business-casual', let alone 'business,' clothes. But a quick look on line shows a reasonably fashionable, good quality shirt or blouse goes for at least $70 to $120. Often more. Yikes! But if that's what you need, that's what you need ... just look for good quality fabric and construction so it lasts more than a couple washings.

• stacey_mb
    2 years ago

I haven't shopped for clothing in more than a year, except for a couple of pairs of comfy shoes. I used to buy clothes regularly although I'm retired and have cut back substantially since I don't need work attire any more. I wear casual clothing at home and at my volunteer job (now paused). I really enjoyed shopping and still have my eye out for a nice piece of clothing, or I did before restrictions happened.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I recently read an article titled soft and hard clothes. During the pandemic most liked soft clothes. Hard clothes are defined with structures like zippers and defined material around waist and in some cases skinny jeans. Admittedly I was at one time a jean person and I have a stack over a foot tall upstairs with every designer brand there is. Gap was always my fav. But now it's soft tees, turtles, sweat tops and yoga and fitted sweats( not the fat ones ) because I value comfort over everything. Everything has to be 100% cotton. And in a pandemic, no one sees me except patrons at the grocery store and I am sure they don't care.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

I am one of those people who need to try things on both for the fit and the texture of the cloth. Since I seldom have gone out since this all started it is a very baggy what used to be sold as exercise pants and some type of colored top from the closet is my go to for seeing anyone. Many of the tops are from World Market.

I do have a couple of things I ordered from Travel Smith and Soft Surroundings which are basic tops. A basic plain top made of decent fabric with little or no design can take you from high end office to digging in the dirt when you become tired of it or the fabric just does not look right. Depending on the office style would depend on if you needed several $200 tops to be worn alternating with lower priced ones. Having worked in an office where it was important to the boss for the employees to look like they stepped from an business advertisement I would suggest making two major purchases one Spring one Fall of outer separates that either go together from the same brand or a high end jacket and coordinating but less expensive bottoms but the color much match in all lights or contrast. To be affordable shop the sales racks that most stores have. There are/were a couple of stores in this area that kept the clearance things in a cubby hole or even on a separate floor after the seasonal sales have ended. If you do not see it ask. If you get the look down the nose you are looking for someone not yourself even if you are.

• Lars
    2 years ago

Lately I've been spending more on fabric than on clothes, not counting shoes. I used to spend quite a lot on clothes when I worked in an office, but I've been retired for the past few years and do not need to dress up to go out. If I happen to see something (like an interesting shirt) when I am out, I will buy it, but that happens more often when I am traveling.

I wear shorts all year, and I have enough of those for now. I will buy extra shorts if I find some in a thrift shop.

I have enough sandals and hiking boots to last a while, but I do have to replace my Crocs every other year, as they do wear out, and I wear them all the time in the house. I never go barefoot in the house.

• maggie200
    2 years ago

I don’t buy clothes at all since we cannot get cotton. Clothes are made of a lot of different materials but they have very little cotton in them. I have things I used to throw into the washer and put it in the dryer and they’ve lasted for years. They are casual clothes but that is what people wear nowadays.

advertisers now get a little funky with their descriptions of the clothes and their care. There is lots of denim being sold but it is not in some cases washable and in most cases not allowed to be put in the dryer. But that doesn’t say that in the description they may tell you that it’s washable and then the next line they will say that it is imported. We are supposed to understand that imported means it can be put in the washer maybe but probably Not able to put in the dryer most certainly doesn’t have the standards that we are used to in clothes.when I called Nike to ask him if my choice in leggings were washable and could be put in the dryer, I was told that they didn’t know. I pressured them to ask somebody and they came back and said you should buy the clothes and you will see the instructions on the label inside the clothes. How snotty is that.

Sheets pillows, pillowcases. These are the latest things I’ve come up against when trying to buy them. Amazon has zippered pillowcases but the remarks say you cannot wash them ever because they will shrink and they have a smell to them. Sheets in some cases have to be dry cleaned in other cases they talk about shrinkage. I bought my sheets from Pottery Barn after finding nothing in department stores and I’m satisfied with them. Just some examples of what has happened to clothing. It also is very expensive. There are some clothes that have a little bit of cotton or no cotton rayon and some thing I was told they use for tires. So I say I have better clothes sitting in my closet that I can buy now. I miss Brooks brothers as well. Sigh

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    2 years ago

Maggie, Bloomingdale's online has some good buys on sale sheets of quality, but not inexpensive even reduced. I've picked up some pieces and am well stocked in good quality cotton right now. I will not dry clean bedding. Period.

I've spent very little on clothes in the last several months. In fact, I need to sort and get rid of some things I'm not likely to wear again. I've worked from home the last several years and now that DH has retired, our clothing needs have changed. Although he's picky. He prefers to choose his own clothes for the most part and likes certain styles and well made things, not interested in quantity but quality. Nordstrom and Tommy Bahama seem to be his favorites but also mine for me. Many years now. My wardrobe is pretty simple. Many black pants and black jeans, couple of dressy black skirts. With an assortment of tops and a couple of nice jackets, I can be acceptable just about any place. A nice suit and a couple of more formally styled dresses and I'm good to go. Eileen Fisher separates seem to work for my every day stuff and our socializing (what very little of that there has been in the last year) - and I never pay full price for anything ;0) At one time, I couldn't. Now that things are more relaxed and I can, why would I....

• wildchild2x2
    2 years ago

I mostly live in t shirts and jeans. Buy the basics at Walmart and a lot of my t shirts are swag that was given to me. I wear things until they wear out. Not into fashion at all. I seldom buy or wear women's tees. The thinness and sausage casing fit is ridiculous. I put money into comfortable boots and footwear. I have a lot of Lands End summer sandals that I bought in youth sizes on eBay years ago so I saved there.

I buy riding tights in the mid price range trying to stay under 100.00 a pair which isn't easy. But they are great for hot summer days. I did invest in some relatively expensive raingear this past year. I think those coats were the most money I paid for any apparel in some time. But they are the last ones I will most likely need. I plan to buy one more jacket length in a smaller size. After losing weight the one I have is great for layers but way big worn alone.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Curious why would you not expect things made from natural fibers not to shrink. You can reduce the shrink by line drying or drying at a lower heat but they absorb moisture then shrink when the moisture is removed.

• maggie200
    2 years ago

Edited for clarity. . Because of the hi tariffs we have on China that stop us from easily buying large appliances and anything that requires a semiconductor And sets of bath towels have been hard to find. . I did use Bloomingdales as my guide to what is available. I looked for a long time for good towels that are cotton and plush. They used to be easy to find and I have some that are 30 years old. I don’t hang anything to dry because I live in an apartment and never have had to. I wanted a whole beautiful set with lots of plush and large towels to wrap around my body. Bloomingdales did not have them. Nor did the other department stores. The colors in these department stores of the towels were ugly and not hi quality. A whole matching set of a very pretty blue is impossible. They didn’t have matching sets they couldn’t get them.

I don’t hang anything after it’s been washed. I live in an apartment. I wouldn’t hang jeans because they fit better when they are put through the dryer and have lasted for many many years. I either can wash them and hang them or send them to the dry cleaners as the label indicates. That's silly.

There is a company called AYR they sell very expensive pants and other stuff. They say to care for the pants spot clean them and then put them in the freezer instead of washing them or drying them.

there are a lot of companies that are scams and know we are in a depression when it comes to material, fabrication and manufacturing and they sell very cheap clothes that look beautiful but they are scams and they prey on us.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Maggie, I miss BB (good old B-squared, as it used to be called) too! As for sheets, I recently bought duvet covers and pillow cases from this company, via Amazon, all cotton, made in India, solid colors only, quite cheap. I am a happy camper with the quality.

California Design Den sheets:

https://www.amazon.com/California-Design-Den-400-Thread-Count-Sheets/dp/B06XS23RKY

As for what I spend on clothes, it's quite a bit normally. I like clothes, and enjoy getting dressed up.

• User
    2 years ago

I HATE shopping for clothes so I really don't spend very much. I have two pairs of black jeans, a couple pair of yoga pants and one pair of capris. Two years ago I gave away more than 1/2 my clothes because I only wear a few things and the rest was taking up closet space, which I don't have much of. When I worked in an office, I had two pair of dress pants and a few blouses and that was it. I don't care if I wear the same thing 3 days in a row as long as it's clean. ;) Problem for me is I'm picky about dress pants so I will spend more than usual for them. As for tops I'll buy whatever is on sale.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    2 years ago

I always wait until June to buy whatever clothes I might need (retired in 2013), because that is when stores offer deals on men's clothes because of father's day!

• liira55
    2 years ago

Not much as all my clothes and shoes come from the Goodwill.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Zalco, I have a question for you on those sheets please. We normally buy percale and like the soft feel. These are described as sateen, is that the shiny and slippery (rather than soft) weave? Thanks

• undertoad
    2 years ago

I don’t really know how much I spend on clothes which, during the pandemic, may be a good thing. I have a couple of dresses (Steinmart and Soft Surroundings), but I’m retired and don’t really need more. Mostly I wear jeans or leggings with a tunic. All my jeans are from Not Your Daughter’s Jeans because I know they’ll be long enough and fit well. NYJD now has wonderful black jeans made with recycled water bottles.

2 years ago

Elmer, that issue gave me pause as well. They appear shiny and satiny straight out of the box (ick, I agree.) Once washed, they are just soft cotton.

• maifleur03
    2 years ago

Back before I retired as an average I spent just over $100 a month for clothing. Some years more some less.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Thanks zalco , much appreciated.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

I spend as little as possible on clothes. And shoes. I wear them to death. For work, I wear Worthington work pants and company paid for tops. Easy. Outside of work, jeans and a shirt. Simple,flattering t-shirts. I pay maybe 5 to 8 bucks apiece for them. I own 3 pairs of shoes,my walking shoes, a pair of flip flops, and the sandals I wear to work. I wear SOs old work boots when I have to work in the garden. They are way to big and its not always easy to move around in them, but they work for that purpose. At home I live in pajama pants or yoga pants and tank tops. I probably have more money in pajama pants than real pants. I dont know the amount but I am certain I have spent more money on mulch than clothes this year. And every year probably. I just don't care. As long as they are clean, fit well and in good condition I think its acceptable to wear. I care nothing for what the fashion elite would say about my clothes.

The only time I "splurge" on clothes is if they are seasonal. I have lots of halloween and christmas t-shirts and tops. I just don't feel right not taking full advantage of the opportunity to wear such fun clothes. But other then those, yeah, I am not paying more than 10 bucks for a shirt.

• jupidupi
    2 years ago

I've been the same size for 50 years, and until they stopped making them a few years ago, bought the exact same Levi 501-XX jeans. I hate shopping and department stores make me claustrophobic. Plus, nothing turns me off like seeing a whole rack of the same thing. But I am the Queen of Ebay. I always request measurements and know my fit. I appreciate high quality vintage and enjoy re-styling, sometimes spending more on nice buttons than I spent on the garment.

• chisue
    2 years ago

Wow, Zalco! Great price on all cotton percale sheets! I normally iron pillowcases and the top third of the top sheet (whatever fits on the ironing board). Do you iron these? I've had Martha Stewart 400 thread count percales from Macy's -- OK; not wonderful; better than her 360 count. We use standard size cases. Maybe DGS will alter the king cases if I buy a set. I like 'crisp', but only see that mentioned under the 600 count sheets -- sounds wrong, as more threads usually means 'softer'.

2 years ago

Chisue, I too prefer crisp. These sheets are softer than they are crisp. I needed a lot of sheets and thought I had nothing to lose trying one set at this price. I was mighty surprised at how decent they were.

I bought king sized pillow cases. The standard ones were much too small and their envelope type fold did not work well with my fluffy, but standard sized pillows.

They do not get terribly wrinkly. I fold them as soon as they are out of the dryer. Of course ironed is always better.

• Anne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do kind of have a capsule in that 90 percent of my clothing is interchangeable. I have several custom suits because I have to dress pretty conservative most days. I like to punch up the conservative with my blouses, sweaters when it it more “casual” . I wear Voinic shoes mostly and keep heels in my office when I need them. I just hate spending 200 dollars on blouses and pants or skirts for less formal days but I don’t want to look cheap. Feeling like I am in uniform stage now with the great blouse,

• Anne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

How do I tag a poster?

• Anne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Amylou, I also still a Pennys fan. The most complimented item in my wardrobe is a blouse I bought for 20 bucks Pucci(so) style

• chisue
    2 years ago

Penney's better stay in business. Where else will I find my cotton nightgowns? (Although quality has suffered, the Adonna brand is still my go-to.)

Zalco -- Maybe I'll try the 600 thread count, which they say are 'crisp'. DGS can lop off the ends of king cases to fit my standard pillows. (Thanks for telling me their 'standards' are too short!)

• Anne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also used to buy my bras at Penney’s, I think because I got my training bras there and never stopped. There used to be a lady at the local Penney’s that would help me and they always fit so well.

• terilyn
    2 years ago

I used to spend a fortune on clothes and purses and shoes. I have a room full that I am consigning with an online site. I don’t wear them anymore and have no need for them. I do miss shopping but things have changed.