Field Cucumbers

Debby

Whatever happened to Field Cucumbers? Not English cucumbers and not mini cucumbers: just plain ordinary every day delicious FIELD Cucumbers??? I haven't seen one in almost six months, maybe longer. Not a single grocery store here has them and I need them for my cucumber salad. I do not like English cucumbers and mini ones don't do the trick either. Is there a world wide shortage or something? Even the grocery store employees don't know why they can't get them.

SaveComment18Like
Comments (18)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

Here I have noticed it too for the past few months......

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I live in central KY and they are available here.

Save    
maifleur03

I have not been to the store for months but certain fruits and veggies while supposedly available are in short supply both because of lack of pickers and the trucking situation. There is apparently a lack of qualified truckers because I have read that many of the older truckers simply retired when they saw what was happening with the virus. Since many food stuffs are shipped to dispersal centers I suspect that unless there is a local source many things that are normally in stores will be in short supply. Some of the market gardeners placed limits on the number of subscribers this year.

Save    
marilyn_c

No shortage here.

Save    
kadefol

They are available here, $.60 each. Bought some a few days ago.

Save    
matthias_lang

Paid $0.90 each for two a couple days ago.

Save    
nicole___

Under a dollar here/Colorado. A big stack of them.....no shortage.

Save    
bpath

Debby, last summer I heard that one consequence of Canada closing its borders was that the migrant workers couldn’t come in. Not only did, say, young people want to do the work, they also don’t know what they are doing. And all that accounted for some shortages. I wonder if it also accounts for less planting?

Save    
Rusty again

Never heard them called 'field' cucumbers before, but the stores here have plenty, and have had right along.

Rusty

Save    
Judy Good

Just bought two today here.

Save    
liira55

My Safeway in Edmonton has them.

Save     Thanked by Debby
Debby

I did see online that Superstore has them, and may stop into one to see if they really do. I make a good cucumber salad (my mothers recipe) and have been craving it. I've tried Sobeys, No Frills, and Co-op, even Walmart and nothing. I'm not sure that it's a border crossing issue as the rest of the produce department is full of fresh fruits and vegetables. My mom says they're plentiful where she lives near Vancouver, but they also have a lot of greenhouses there.

Save    
Rusty again

I love cucumbers, care to share your recipe?

Rusty

Save    
woodrose

No shortage here. I've never heard them called field cucumbers, either.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Ditto as to name. We have other types too but what's shown in the photo is simply called "cucumber."

Save    
Debby

Normally, I would say "cucumber" but there are different types. I finally went to Safeway and they only had about a dozen of them @$1.49 each: I grabbed two

My recipe:

Peel the cucumber, Grate it all up

Add about 1/8 cup FINE diced onion. I like yellow onion you can use red.

Add about 1/4 cup vinegar

1-2T sugar

1-2T oil (I use olive oil, mom uses vegetable)

salt and pepper to taste

Mix it all up together and marinade about 1/2 an hour to an hour then strain. Don't squish the liquid out, let it drip.

One cucumber is usually enough for two people

Save    
Rusty again

Thank you, Debby. Never would have occurred to me to grate the cucumber, I usually just slice them very thin. Will try your method soon.

Rusty

Save    
maifleur03

Not something I really like raw or cooked but do make a good addition to soups and stews but please peel them before adding.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Farm Your Yard 6 Things to Know Before You Start Growing Your Own Food
It takes time and practice, but growing edibles in the suburbs or city is possible with smart prep and patience
Full Story
Gardening Guides Step Right Outside for Fresh Herbs and Vegetables
Decks and patios can be convenient spots for edibles, and sometimes they even offer advantages over backyard gardens
Full Story
Landscape Design 10 Ways to Make Your Landscape More Environmentally Friendly
From creating wildlife highways to planting pretty pollinators, there are lots of simple ways to be green in the garden
Full Story