SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_653312952

Yea or nay on privet hedge? Hedge with something else?

Holly Robinson
3 years ago

I'm looking for input regarding starting a privet hedge around a pool. I've chosen a non-invasive privet appropriate for my area, but I have cold feet. Any gardeners out there who can weigh in? Do you love privet and would you say I should go for it, or no? I love the classic, iconic look of a well-maintained privet hedge, but it's impossible to know if I'd succeed in achieving the look I have in mind. I'd have to take the leap and try. I was told that the privet in my inspiration photo is probably over 50 years old. I don't see myself having 50 years to achieve my objective, but I found nice, bushy privet bushes that are 5' tall, and planting them a foot apart from one another already results in a privacy screen, even if it's thin. My ideal hedge height would be about 5', so the objective would be to encourage the privet to fill in and become thick and lush over time. I've considered other options including Japanese holly (beautiful but more costly), euonymous (a contender), boxwood (beautiful but not a good match, and also more costly). I'm aware of the need to prune/shear privet to promote thickness, and the soil and sun requirements. Most of the area where the hedge would go gets full sun, and a couple of sections get partial sun (at least three hours of full sun). Privet seems to have fallen out of favor in my area of Long Island, NY. Maybe people got tired of it, opting instead for evergreen options like arborvitae, but I think privet is very beautiful when done well. I'd love to hear others' thoughts -- yea or nay on privet -- and top contenders for a beautiful, classic hedge if not privet. Thanks in advance!!

Comments (12)