SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Hedge for swimming pool landscaping

jenn
13 years ago

My mom has hired a horticulturist to re-landscape her backyard swimming pool and the yard beyond that. The pool area is nothing but hardscape with walls on all 4 sides (including the house and garage walls). There is a small patch of dirt along one of the walls at the end of the pool, but that wall will be taken down to open up the pool area to the yard beyond.

The design includes a hedge running the length of the wall along the property line, between the pool deck and the neighbors' yard. The hedge will be between the wall and the pool deck.

She said the name of the plants used for the hedge is something like "wax" and "privet" and will get about 5 feet tall.

I'm hoping this is the short variety of wax privet. In any case, I'm wondering about berries, fallen leaves, and bees so close to where people will sit around the pool.

She is 80 and has gardened for many years but now has some serious back problems, so she has a gardener to maintain the landscape. She's otherwise strong and in very good health, but will be very upset/stressed if plants around the pool attract bees or create a lot of litter that gets into the pool.

She is not the type to do exhaustive research on plants --- instead, she's the whimsical artistic type who sees a plant she likes and sticks it in the ground... LOL... often with great success. However, she's paying a lot of money for someone to make these decisions for her, and I'd like to give some guidance if I can.

Can anyone comment on the short variety of this plant as a hedge, or make any other suggestions I could share with her? She lives in Glendale and has sandy soil. The wall is north-facing but will get a lot of sun/part-sun and reflective heat.

Comments (23)