SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Hugo nominees announced

Rosefolly
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

It's that time of the year again. I've had people interesting in science fiction ask me what the latest nominees are, so I thought I'd post them here. I'm only posting the Best Novel candidates. If anyone wants the novellas, novelettes, short stories, and other related categories, you can find them at http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/2021-hugo-awards/.

The list:

Best Novel
1093 votes for 441 nominees, finalist range 309-132

• Black Sun, Rebecca Roanhorse (Gallery / Saga Press / Solaris)
  • The City We Became, N.K. Jemisin (Orbit)
  • Harrow The Ninth, Tamsyn Muir (Tor.com)
  • Network Effect, Martha Wells (Tor.com)
  • Piranesi, Susanna Clarke (Bloomsbury)
  • The Relentless Moon, Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor Books / Solaris)

I loved Piranesi so much I can't imagine not voting for it, but of course I'll read the others. It's a strong field. N.K. Jemisin is a much admired writer - I admire her myself. Mary Robinette Kowal won Best Novel with an earlier book, though I myself didn't love it. I find the tone of her writing puts me off. Before she turned to SF she wrote a series of fantasy Regency novels that did not impress me, and somehow I just can't take her seriously. Martha Wells writes the clever Murderbot series which I adore. In fact I'll be voting for it as Best Series this year. Rebecca Roanhorse and Tamsyn Muir are too dark for me, but I'll give their books a shot in the interests of fairness.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County