SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginabegin

Dessert-scented (e.g. honey, vanilla, cinnamon, fruits) flowers?

Gina
3 years ago

I'm creating a small garden that I'd like to have someone sit in and be able to get different smells that remind one of baked goods and desserts. I have two mock orange shrubs so far, a lemon verbena, two honeysuckles. I'm sure I've seen plants that smell like vanilla, cinnamon, etc., but I'm drawing a blank (and would love other ideas as well).
I'm hoping these will send out their fragrance on their own, or only need to be gently brushed by to release their fragrance (like my lemon verbena). I would rather they not have thorns or be poisonous as there are children and I don't want to take a chance. Bonus if they are actually edible and can be used to make pretty ice cubes or baked into cookies and things like that!
Colour isn't super important, but if I'm choosy, corals, oranges, and pinks are the colors I'd like the most of, with whites and yellows next, and purples/blues last. But again, this is not a priority (just listing in case someone asks :).
I live in zone 5 if that's helpful, and don't have a way to overwinter indoors unless it's a very small plant.
Ideas?

Comments (18)