SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_dietrich41

Layout Assistance for Long & Narrow Living Room

Katie Dietrich
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are moving into a new house in June and I'm starting to plan out the furniture layout in the living room. The room is long and narrow with the fireplace right in the middle. There's also a doorway offset to the side as well. I don't mind how the furniture is placed in the picture but I'm trying to figure out if there's a better way to do it.

The only thing I know for sure is we want to be able to sit in front of the fire since we've always wanted a fireplace and we live in a very cold climate. The only pieces of furniture from the pictures that will stay is the blue and white armchair and ottoman and the wooden cabinet against the far wall. Everything else will go and we'll be purchasing new.

There are two adults and 3 kids 5 and under using the room. I am not naive enough to believe that the kids won't play in there so I am expecting we'll have a bookshelf or cabinet with toys in it. We are unsure about having a tv in there but definitely see ourselves hanging out and reading and relaxing. We have another area that will be more of a kids room/tv room so we would like to keep this room a little more formal and a little more oriented towards adults.

You can see how narrow the room is based on the fact that those are two loveseats.

Comments (7)