SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Container or in-ground?

I'm growing a lot more peppers than usual this year, and I would like some advice on how to proceed with the season.

In the past I've grown cayenne, tabasco, jalapenos, Thai hot peppers, and something else that I don't remember. I used to have a pergola that was in full sun, and I would put the peppers in containers under the pergola. But they still really had too much sun and it would often burn the leaves.

Last year I set up a small greenhouse in a dappled-sun area (mainly to salvage some plants over the winter), and last month I began to use it to germinate orange habaneros (my favorite), purple habanero, peach scorpion, a hot scorpion of unknown cultivar (it came from a friend), aji mango stumpy, and red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers. All are sprouting now except for the peach scorpion, but it's still early so I'm not worried :-)

As they grow, though, the questions are:

1. Should I put them each in large containers, or plant them in the ground?

2. Should I put them in full sun areas, where they'll get plenty of dryer heat but could burn their leaves? Or part sun areas? Or even leave them in the dappled-sun greenhouse where they'll get the most heat with more humidity?

Note that I'm in western NC (USA), zone 7A. I have problems with moles, voles, black ants, worms, and now fire ants (to which I'm severely allergic!) that tend to destroy any other foods that I grow in the ground, but they usually leave my peppers alone.

My full sun areas are not enclosed so they'll be subject to rabbit and deer, but the part-sun areas are fenced in.

Comments (10)

Sponsored