SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maria_phillips93

Bit off more than I can chew- How do you find the right contractor?

Maria Phillips
3 years ago

Hi there, I bought a home (3 bed, 1.5 bath two-story duplex that is in a neighborhood where every house is literally the same). I'm planning on renting it out when I move away in a year. I had a pretty optimistic mindset of my own ability for DIY at the start - so I've gutted the kitchen, removed trim, exposed sections of the wall to reframe, ripped out the carpet, bought floors (why on earth did I do that when that's one of the last things to get put back in?) I spared no space with starting the renovation and am left in a place that I realize this will be a project I learn from.

So with that said, I have many projects and I'm not sure how to best go about hiring a contractor to do them. Right now my plan is to go need by need (electrician, plumber etc) to get bids for specific parts of work. I was wondering if anyone had insight into the process of getting a general contractor who could manage the whole process - is that something an average not necessarily flipper, but budget-minded person does?

I won't be able to afford all of the changes at once so I am hoping to work in phases (electirican, framing, rough-ins, and dry-wall phase 1) (phase 2 flooring, trim etc). All of the general contractors I can find in the area through google and even on here seem like they cater to people who are renovating for their forever homes or have higher-end type budgets so I'm not even sure it's worth reaching out to them/ think it may waste both our times. Are higher end budgets typically all that general contractors work with and if-not any suggestions for where to find someone who would pick up a project like mine (not looking to cut corners, just looking towards practical renovation style).

Also any tips for setting up a SOW? I found a software called flipperforce that seems to help with the planning, has anyone used that or have other recommendations for the planning part of a major renovation prior to getting bids?

Comment (1)