SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
three4rd47

How to control weeds in an area filled with river rocks?

three4rd47
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Question refers to other than spraying with commercial products - since I'm not real fond of stuff like Round-Up being that it's an environmental hazard.

I have a fairly large area that circles a pool fence. Between the edge of my swimming pool cement deck and a low rock border on the outside of the pool fence is an approximately 3'wide area that is filled with river rocks. This goes all the way around the pool. Looks nice enough but, wow, what a pain in the you-know-where to keep it weeded.

Back when I installed the beginnings of this (was expanded by a contractor several years ago), I had laid down heavy plastic and then put the rocks over the top. That worked quite well. Over the years, however, the plastic has degraded and so when I dig around to pull the weeds, at this point it's mostly all ground. The weeds' roots are getting increasingly harder to get out. Compounding the problem is that when the landscaper expanded on it (added the rock border and made the whole thing wider) he didn't add any plastic (stupid idea IMHO). So there are even more weeds.

Is there anything that can be sprayed other than these commercial products to control weeds? Someone once told me a mix of water and vinegar? I realize a solution would be to take all the rocks out (a few tons worth I suspect) and put down new plastic again - not sure I'm up for that. Thanks for any ideas....

Comments (24)