SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vaaccess

Overgrown beds -) Converting to river rock? (w/pic)

vaaccess
11 years ago

Hey everyone. My wife and I moved into a home that had some great landscaping originally, but the previous owner(s) let everything go nuts and we're going to start over from scratch.

The beds have a ton of ground cover and vines and grass and bulbs and...just an over-abundance of growth. Living in Central VA with lots of trees (and bugs) we've decided (at least for now) that we want to convert everything over to 3/4" (?) pebbles/river rock and then plant new stuff within it.

I was originally thinking that I would spray everything with weed/grass killer, install landscaping fabric, then dump the rocks over the top. Then I was reading that landscaping fabric is the enemy of the world so now not sure how to do it. Was considering using rolls of paper...?

There are a few shrubs and an awesome Japanese Maple that we'll keep. There's even some good Hostas mixed in, but, I'm not 100% sure how best to save them considering how overgrown everything is. There's also some Rhododendron that grew to the size of trees and have completely ruined the look of the beds.

I've included a shot of the featured landscaping area in the front of the house, but we have a LOT more along the sides of the house, out back, etc. I didn't bother trying to clean out the leaves from the beds since things already looked awful, but, once we reset I would blow everything out on a regular basis as needed...

Anyway, curious to hear thoughts/ideas/feedback. Maybe rock isn't as awesome as I think it will be?

Thanks!!!

Comments (9)