SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_wilcox91

Is there any way to save this bush?

Amanda Wilcox
3 years ago

There is some sort of animal that was living under the shed and our puppy has torn apart the bush trying to get to the animal and also just because she has fun causing chaos. Idk what kind of bush it is, but I'm wondering if there is any hope in trying to save it through pruning or something. Idk exactly how you remove a bush but I'm thinking we might have to get rid of both bushes.

Comments (41)

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

wow jim, bad morning?

Amanda, if you want advice on whether or not to remove them, post a pic so we can see them w/the house. They don't seem to be adding all that much to the landscaping.

I believe it's a juniper? not sure I'm sure the plant people can advise you further.

• Related Discussions

Succulent fell over, trunk is turning soft, any way to save it?

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for the response. As I said, I got the plants from a friend already potted...this one, the jade, and another with the set that's not pictured...they were neglected for some time and not in an area that received much light. Very little direct sunlight at all. I noticed as well that the soil was a bit to heavy and not what I use for my own succulents. No drainage holes either. I'm just trying to do my best to nurse them back to health. Perhaps I did get a little overzealous with the watering though, in my attempt to bring it back to health. In any case, with the current shape, I believe it would have fallen over on its own accord in a short time, and the mostly bare lower trunk with dead leaves was an eyesore from the start so I wanted to do something about that.
    ...See More

Is there any way to save my teflon pan??

Q

Comments (1)
    How attached are you to your pan? Unless it is part of an expensive set, replacements are cheap, and your time and nerves are not. The last time something stuck on a frying pan I got frustrated and bought a couple of the new ceramic coated pans. So far, they are wonderful; better non-stick than the old Teflon coated pans; less fussy about scratches; easy to clean. I just use caution when working with them. The same cautions I would use for a Teflon pan; and I wash by hand. Not the expensive ones shown on tv. Just look on amazon.com and you will see a bunch along with user reviews. Get the best reviewed one.
    ...See More

Peppers are swollen and filled with fluid - ANY way to save them?

Q

Comments (8)
    Agreed with einportlandor- don't beat yourself up. I'm a long time gardener too and still make plenty of mistakes, including the occasional oops with timing and the weather. It happens. I'm not going to suggest anything with the peppers- other folks have already covered that well, and it's been a few days so I assume whatever you were going to do with the fruits you have probably done by now. But some advice for next year. If you find yourself in the time crunch again.. instead of picking the peppers, go out and cut your pepper plants down entirely before the cold snap, and bring the plants whole inside for picking. If you have the space, you can leave whole plants loose in a lightly covered bin and take a few days to harvest a bit more leisurely if you like. Or be prepared with season extenders like frost cloths, or use containers so you can bring the potted plants inside if you have the space.
    ...See More

Help any way of saving this??

Q

Comments (16)
    Looks like leaves are rotting, can't see much of stem. But you said that you over-watered it. Yet some roots look ok in the last photo. If the leaves are falling off very easily, and are mushy as you say, it is most likely rotted. I do not think leaves with rotting edges will root. If plant is rotting thruout the stem, see if there are any leaves that are healthier. If so, just lay them on anything - some dry potting mix is ok. Put some leaves just on the surface, maybe stick some just barely into mix. Make sure you keep it dry or they will just rot. I never tried rooting leaves of this plant - looks like Echeveria agavoides - so I don't know how easily it grows, but it should. Be patient, it could take a while. Many leaves will start growing roots without being in or on the any soil. Here are some growing on just a tray:Here are different leaves just inserted into gritty mix, not deep at all:
    ...See More
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

I needed to save money removing a shrub, and of course I removed what I could. What I confirmed is that leaving the stub/ stump, it will dry out/die, and become much easier for man, woman, child, dog to remove. ;)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

its not a juniper.. its a chamaecyparis ...

it doesnt matter what you do with the plant.. if you dont get the groundhog out from under the shed ... now that he located it.. im sure the pup isnt going to ignore it ...

btw. the plant is about 3 feet too close to the shed ... it was probably a babe when planted.. with no real understanding that as a tree .. of which conifers are .. they never stop growing ..

if the shed is painted.. i would get it off the shed before it rots it ...

and since its rather heavily damaged.. why bothering trying to move it somewhere else ...

i dont understand the first answer.. why even bother signing in??? .. when you are in that kind of mood ...

depending on where you are .. how much it might grow in a season.. you might spend 3 to 5 years.. trying to grow it back into a pleasant shape ... i would not bother ...

ken

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

thanks ken,

so it would eventually grow up to look like this?

yeah, I think it needs to go. too close to the structure

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

These look like they are probably Platycladus to me (closer view needed). Anyway if it were my situation I would just cut them off and dig them out at this point. Otherwise you are going to be looking at the damage for years before they are able to fill back in. And maybe the circumstances are such that more damage is coming.

• User
    3 years ago

gardengal, maybe my posts are an attempt to get first time posters to use the information on the internet vs asking questions.

If this is social media, OK, but often these new users do not participate in the forum...one and done.

I am ok with your scolding/moderating.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

The entire point of these forums is to ask questions!! There is no rule that requires anyone to do research on their own, especially when they know nothing about the topic. So immediately scolding a new poster because they do ask questions that take at most 30 seconds to answer is at the very least unfriendly and counterproductive.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow okay didnt realize asking if a shrub is savable was drama. I'm just gonna ignore all of that.

The bushes are in front of a shed, not the house. And the groundhog seems to have vacated, but he has left and come back before numerous times so I guess we will see. Not really sure how to keep him away for good but the dogs seemed to drive him away. So fingers crossed that he's gone.

The bushes were here when we moved in. I wasnt really sure how to remove them ourselves without hiring out, but it sounds like the easiest route is to just cutting them down and then shoveling out the roots?

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• User
    3 years ago

OK, but do you want those posters on your forum, does it make you feel smart because you know the answers?

The bush question was easy to answer, and the answers were available on the internet.

Thus the question: has this become or is a social media site, a website where people want to chat...I am willing to help posters who do not how to use the internet, but it appears I am offended by one time posters who will not do their own research....

I guess, there used to be more members than users....FWIW, this is a website selling advertising, based on traffic.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

You are on the right track - cut them down and then get a shovel under them to dig them out.

• User
    3 years ago

Yes, the easiest route is cutting them down.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just wanted to know if its savable or not. I can figure out how to remove it on my own. I've never removed a bush before or had any problems with a shrub before. Obviously there are people who know more about shrubs here than I do who could tell me if I just prune it if it will grow back or if I should just pull it.

Sorry I offended you with my inexperience with dog injured shrubs. I'm sure that I'll be able to find that exact bush with that exact damage on the internet real easy. Lmao

Okay thanks everybody I'll remove the shrubs and start looking into something to replace it with. As someone who loves gardening maybe I'll replace them with some perennials or a flowering shrub instead. I'm in 6a if anyone has good ideas for something that will fit the space. Obviously I dont want to plant anything that will wind up becoming overgrown and once the shrub is out it will also be a lot easier to fill the hole the groundhog was living in.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"I wasnt really sure how to remove them ourselves without hiring out, but it sounds like the easiest route is to just cutting them down and then shoveling out the roots?"

Exactly!! Might involve a bit of elbow grease but not something that needs to be hired out.

And feel free to ignore any comments from Jim. He has established a pattern of making unfortunate comments like the above that provide zero advice or help! And this website was present and answering gardening questions long before Houzz and its sales pitch was a concern. And it still is!! We like to help :-) At least most of us do!!

• Cecily Grace zone6
    3 years ago

I’m in zone 6a too. I’m not sure from looking at the picture how much sun you get there. I see a tree trunk in the backyard so I assume partial shade, which means less than 6 hours of sun per day. Some really tough plants that can take partial shade are iris, especially the older varieties, (maybe you know someone with some in their yard?), echinacea or coneflowers, daylilies, munstead or phenomenal lavender, (I know lavender is supposed to be full sun, but I’ve grown munsted in partial shade for years and it’s done great). If you have full sun, which means more than 6hours of sun per day, you could grow any of the above, or peonies, roses, lilacs, rose of Sharon, or hydrangeas. Actually most of those except roses will do fine with partial shade as well. Hope that helps!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

After you fill in the animal hole, plant your new shrub a little further out from the shed so it won't be touching the shed when fully grown. Or consider just using grass around the shed and plant some flowering shrubs along your back fence where you can get more height.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks gardengal! As a novice gardener I have found this forum a great place and it has helped me learn a lot. I've already gotten someone to agree to help me pull them both out so we will probably do that next weekend!

Now I have a reason to start shopping for new shrubs! I've never planted a shrub before so this should be exciting. Of course as a flower gardener I'm drawn to all the flowering shrubs. I'm looking through the shrub madness shrubs to see if anything might work well in that space. Although an evergreen shrub might be more fitting. I'm going to check if any of my catalogs have shrubs!

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Grace, I have fought some daylilies that took over the front garden. Never again!! I feel the same with rose of sharon, I just pruned the ones in the yard to get them looking decent but wont go for such a messy shrub again. We have a lilac and a burning bush as well in the back.

For plants there are tons of possibilities but part of me feels like a bush or shrub is more fitting. Maybe once the monstrosities are pulled it will be easier to visualize. I could just the area into a small garden, but either way I feel like some sort of shrub would be appropriate.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Old days, no one mistrusted neighbors talking in their neighborhood. There was friendliness. It's a more automated world that younger people are used to.

No reason not to ask others, cause this world is much bigger than the internet.

• tete_a_tete
    3 years ago

Oh, shut up Jim Mat.

• Christopher CNC
    3 years ago

The dog ate my bush. Then some mean person barked at you. You're good Amanda. @User This is the internet. There are answers here too.

• mileaday None
    3 years ago

I agree that after you remove the bushes, you’ll be able to visualize something new. Try taking the pic that you listed here to your local nursery, visualize the shrubs that they sell and ask for advise on dwarf shrubs. Unfortunately, based on experience with sheds and groundhogs, you may be looking at other future issues. Planting in front of a wood shed is going to promote rot and as you can already see, the growth of many bushes will keep the doors from fully opening. Groundhogs love to live under sheds and have their families there also. And even if that family has left, chances are good that another will appear the next year because there is already a burrow dug for them. Trying to block their “door” won’t help because the “house” is still there, they just need to install a new door! I have some large planter pots (nothing fancy - lightweight & inexpensive from Ross) that replaced bushes. I planted them with perennials, annuals and a trellis or hanging pot in each for height. If the planters are too low you could still have groundhogs and rabbits stopping by for dinner unless your dog is standing guard. Find out what the neighborhood animals like to eat before you plant anything that costs you money or time. Good luck with your project and if you have clay soil, wait until it’s dry before you start digging. You body will appreciate the wait!

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

If the burrowing animal is still there that problem will have to be solved before it is safe to replant.

• rosiembog
    3 years ago

When our next door neighbor was attempting to remove a rather large and gnarly juniper bush from the front corner of his porch,no struggling with a saw,shovel and big fork thing

were any help. I told him about the Canadian redneck method: Cue the banjos.

We used the garden hose to thoroughly soak the root ball,then wove a long sturdy chain around the roots and trunk.Fastened the other end of chain to back of his truck,and drove forward. The entire mess slurped out of the hole tout suite. Of course we exercised every safety precaution,even wearing eye protection.Celebrated with a Molson Canadian beer.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The dogs have been " standing guard" so I'm not sure that the ground hog is under there anymore. There is a bird feeder by that tree now so whenever they go out they're running off birds and squirrels and sniffing out the area. In front of that tree is their main potty area. Pretty sure he got scared off a while back. I think once cover has been removed it will be easier to tell. Basically there are just holes under the shed but I haven't seen an animal in a while. But then the puppy destroyed the bush so either she just had a ball destroying it or she was sniffing out an animal, can't be sure with my pup as she seems to have fun causing chaos -- we just replaced garden edging that she ripped out this past week. Either way the bush was destroyed and it's time for something new.

As for the shed door not opening fully. I don't think anyone cares about that since we hardly use the shed and it's mainly storage. And I think we will leave the red neck method to the pros

• olychick
    3 years ago

Are they both damaged? The one on the right looks quite nice, even if close to the shed. You might consider keeping it and planting something on the other side. Not one something, but a grouping that will make the asymmetry look intentional.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Amanda, sadly, since your bushes are conifers they won’t grow back easily from that kind of damage. If they had been non conifers we might have recommended cutting right back and they’d regrow. So, unfortunately, getting rid of them is probably the best course. Don’t be frightened of doing it wrong. You’re killing the plant so it doesn’t really matter how you do it. But do make sure you have good tools or you’ll be making it more difficult than it needs to be. I’d use loppers to cut the top off, a pruning saw to cut roots, a good spade and maybe a mattock.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So my dad cut the damaged one back a bit and he "thinks it looks better this way"..... I strongly disagree.. So now I'm trying to convince him to help me remove them which was the original plan.. I would prefer to just take them both out and start fresh. I think once they're out it will be easier to envision what to do with the space.

• Christopher CNC
    3 years ago

I think your dad did a fine job whether you like it or not. Tell him that, but that you want to get rid of it anyway.

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

That looks pretty darn good. Let him cut the other one and leave them until you decide what you really want to do.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

as to dads opinion ... go run it over with the lawn tractor.. and see if he changes his mind .. lol ...

the base problem here. .is that the prior owner planted a bigbox babe about 4 feet too close to the shed.. with no concept of its future growth potential ..

for that reason alone.. get rid of it ...

and as to replacing them.. plant something new at least 4 feet away form the shed ... to avoid this problem in your future ...take the proper name of whatever you are considering .. to the images page of a search .. and look at the future monster you are thinking about ...

and if you want to plant something further out.. just cut this to the ground .. and apply a stump killer and be done with it.. no need to dig it out.. since you wont be planting that close again ....

if the shed is wood .. having a plant rubbing on wood is not good for the shed... nor trapped moisture.. etc ...

but what you really need to do.. is get whatever is under there.. out.. before some female has her spring babies ...

cover the hole and see if you have activity ... rake the soil.. so you can look for paw prints ..

i have ground hogs ... and they dig like that ... and often move on .. then in my case.. over the years.. along came a skunk who moved in ... then momma racoon and her young ... i think rabbits were in and out .. etc ... trapper bob took care of all that ....

imo.. that is your biggest problem right now ... the wild life ... solve that issue ...

ken

• everdebz
    3 years ago

What's the harm -- nice Dad :) -- let them stay pruned there.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

You'll continue having the same issue if you leave them because those are planted too close to the shed, and will give animals cover to tunnel in.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think he did a pretty decent job considering how it looked before but still feels like it needs to go. Tomorrow he's gonna do the other one to match and then we will make a final decision. Plus we're getting soil to fill in the holes. I am debating on what I'd like to plant there instead... Maybe just create a new garden with two small hydrangeas or something. I've been looking at flowering shrubs and can't decide.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Amanda, I saw your stump-logs and wonder if those couldn't add some standard, or creative look near a work shed... unless Dad builds benches also! and place one under the shade tree. :)

• Victoria
    3 years ago

wow! great pruning job! keep pruning like that. youre good to go!

• Victoria
    3 years ago

looks awesome pruned! great job, dad!

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

Look into spireas. My favorites: magic carpet and goldflame.

• Amanda Wilcox
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So the other Bush didn't turn out nearly as good as the first one. We're hoping to pull them tomorrow. I still can't decide on a shrub to replace it. I like pinks, purples and blues. I saw a really pretty azalea down the road from me but they're poisonous to dogs so I don't think that's a good idea considering what the puppy did to this bush.