SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristinpmom

Window decision in kitchen

kristinpmom
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are completely remodeling a 1970's house. We have completely gutted it, and some of the redesign includes window changes. I'm stumped on how to design the windows along the kitchen wall. I've included pix of this wall from the inside & outside. I'm planning on a wall of sliding windows (not casement).

I want the whole wall to be windows. I believe the full length of the planned (redesigned) opening is 125". Floorplan is attached as well.

We have a beautiful view of hills and lake, plus the ceilings feel low to me, so I want to let as much light as possible in!

My goals for this bank of windows is:

1. As much glass (and as few lines as possible)
  2. The vertical lines that will be there to be as thin and consistent in size as possible. (i.e., is it possible to have the place where windows are mulled be NO thicker than where the separation/handle for the sliding windows are?
  3. Windows that slide in at least 2 places to allow for air circulation on beautiful days AND to allow for passing dishes/drinks, etc. through to back patio (that we will cover and turn into outdoor entertainment area) with screens removed.

I have attached pix of the wall from inside & outside and have drawn line around where the opening for windows will be.

I have also attached pix of proposed windows BUT, there are problems with each:

• Regarding the design with the 2 sliding windows mulled together (see drawing attached): where the windows are mulled will land right in front of the kitchen sink (which I know is not ideal placement - that was another design dilemma.... I finally had to give up my dream of having my kitchen sink in the middle). To have a vertical line above the kitchen sink seems so annoying to me - I want clear view when standing there washing dishes. Also, in this design, I don't love that the mulled piece is so much thicker than the other lines. Should I get over it? I had something super consistent and streamlined in mind. (Kinda like the pic of sliding doors enclosed where all vertical lines are same width.)

• Regarding the design (as seen on the floorplan) of 5 windows of equal size: they would actually be two sliders and one stationary window. I was told all lines between windows (at mulled places) would look exactly the same width, but I don't see how that is possible based on what I'm seeing online.... Is it???

As a p.s., if you have any design ideas on how to rearrange kitchen so the sink can end up in the middle, let me know. ; )

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert