SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

Want to get rid of lawn/grass. What's best, natural approach?

Lynn Nevins
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all. My mom has a small yard with grass. Over the years, I assume her (now-deceased) partner would sow some new seeds each spring, and then with basic watering and sun, the grass grew. And then they likely mowed it now and then.

After talking with my mom, who's not into gardening or lawn care, at all, we decided that I'd try to put in some low-maintenance perennials...shrubs, flowers, etc., in the yard, and that any remaining grass would be secondary...ideally not needing any maintenance, and eventually 'dying off'.

I've never had a 'lawn', but I'm guessing that if we begin to 'ignore' any of the grass currently there, that over time it might die or dissipate? Or might it still continue to thrive even with sun and the occasional rain? The thing is, once I have perennials throughout the yard, it will make it much more complicated, SHOULD there still be some grass growing, and then...how do we mow the grass around all the flowers/shrubs? (It's not that large of a yard...)

Another idea I had, to more or less replace the grass, and to provide no-maintenance ground cover, was to plant some pachysandra, which I understand is considered a good basic 'ground cover', and which I assume will naturally spread out, over time, to cover all or most of the yard. Would the pachysandra then 'take over', thereby essentially killing the grass?

I obviously don't want to have to 'pull up' all the grass, and certainly not apply any type of chemical to kill it. Mainly my focus is on adding new plants to the yard, and if the existing grass remains there, fine. But, I just don't want to have to worry about the grass getting too tall, and then it's hard to mow around the perennials, etc. We really don't care to have any more grass/lawn in the yard. Just some type of ground cover that will take care of itself...

Thanks for any insights/ideas!

Comments (9)