all brick fireplace needs help

patty

I have an all brick fireplace that I would like to change. I am thinking about some sort of tile or shiplap. Any ideas would be appreciated.

SaveComment15Like
Comments (15)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
BeverlyFLADeziner

From what we can see on the blurry dark picture it looks fine to me.

Keep in mind that if you use shiplap it has to be kept a few inches from the FP opening so you will still have to add another material like stone to surround the curved opening.

1 Like Save    
patty

I’ll take a better picture.

Save    
patty

This pic is better.

3 Likes Save    
unwantedadvice

Not that you want to hear this but I like the brick and it looks like the mantle matches the beams. Maybe add some colorful accessories, not too much, to the mantle and by the bottom on either side of the lantern.

2 Likes Save    
Amy McMiller

You could paint the brick white and the mantle black to have a nice contrast

1 Like Save    
patty

I liked the fireplace when I first purchased the house but I am tired of it. I thought about painting it but my husband does not want to paint because you’re pretty much stuck with it. I thought I would tile over it but I can’t think of a tile that would compliment the beams on the ceiling.

Save    
partim

Beautiful fireplace and brick.

2 Likes Save    
patty

These comments are so nice and I appreciate them but I want a different look.

Save    
PRO
BeverlyFLADeziner

Covering the brick with anything is just as final as painting it. There is no going back after it’s done. Show us the rest of the room. Maybe changing something else will help you fall in love with the fireplace again

2 Likes Save    
patty

I have added some pics of the surrounding rooms. I am open to any suggestions. Especially ideas for tile for fireplace. I bought a painting for the mantel so the sign will be gone. Thanks.

Save    
PRO
BeverlyFLADeziner

A brighter more patterned rug could lift the room.

2 Likes Save    
patty

That is a good idea.

Save    
dmac1108

I think your fireplace looks nice - but I also understand feeling tired of having a red brick fireplace. I have four fireplaces that I want to change - and one of them is red brick.

Here are some ideas:

This one refaced their brick with stone and added shiplap:

I thought I had another photo saved with a completed fireplace renovation where they added wood - but not painted white shiplap. It was similar to the one below:

Here’s a more upscale shiplap fireplace - I like the marble - but I like all marble!

This was a brick fireplace - refaced with stone veneer panels:

You could cover most of the brick but leave some around the firebox. As has already been pointed out above, you need to have some type of non combustible material between the firebox and the shiplap. You can find many examples where the brick immediately adjacent to the firebox was left uncovered and incorporated into the new design:

I know that you said that your husband doesn’t want to paint it, but just thought I’d throw one in here. It’s the definitely the least expensive update!

There are so many ideas on Pinterest/Houzz/etc - it can be overwhelming.

I’ll get to refacing mine someday. I think it’s about 15th on my current project list . . .😳

2 Likes Save    
patty

Thank you dmac1108 for all the pictures. I will probably do ship lap with tile around the opening. I will keep looking on Pinterest Thanks.

1 Like Save    
patty

Yes I realize that I would have to drill holes. My fireplace bricks are red. Why all the question marks?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides What You Need to Know Before Painting Brick
Sure, painted brick can be a great look. But you need to take some risks into account. Here's how to paint brick like a pro
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Love Is All You Need
Celebrate the greatest gift of all with artwork and accessories you can keep out even on Cupid’s days off
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We are the premier manufacturer of stairs & rails in Northern Virginia & the DC Metro. Since 1976 Century Stair... Read More