SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nuhouse10

Brick fireplace - need help with floor color, please!

nuhouse10
5 years ago

looking for guidance picking a color for the floor. We have looked at everything from dark walnut to early american to gray to white-washed. We aren't having any luck finding something that look good in this room with this brick. My head hurts from thinking the colors over and over...so I need some guidance from some objective helper s, please!

We have a 1896 home. The back room of the house was built 90 yearsand we are trying to get the 1990's style out. We just covered the hideous tile floor. Now, we need a floor color and wall color. We aren't even considering the wall color until we figure out the floor. I am horrible at this...can you help?

Some things that might be helpful to know:

We do not want to white-wash or paint the brick at this point. It's a new home (to us) and that's a big step b/c there is no going back. So, we are leaving the brick :)

Room is approx 20x15.

the windows face west(ish). Directly out the back of the room (where the fireplace is located) is north and there is a mountain with large trees. Opposite the windows are two doorways - no windows. Opposide the fireplace is a large open doorway into a kitchen (which is also under construction).

The west/north windows give the room a lot of dingy gray in the morning and by afternoon it's much warmer and brighter. We are having trouble finding a stain that will look good with this brick but also not be too dark for the room. We really like Minwax special walnut or provincial but they are too dark, we think. Even with a quick light coat on a test piece, they are pretty dark.

We like early american and special walnut blend - also too dark. We cut it with some "natural" to dilute it and it still seems dark but I"m not sure it looks good with the brick.

Here are some photos (please understand we are fixing up this house and trying to return it to the cozy, farmhouse look. We don't like modern or super cool colors/feel, although BM rockport gray with cameo white on the walls look great in the other room with the same bricks. The floor in there is more of an early american but it is on Southeast facing and it looks much brighter in there)

close up of brick

The room while under construction (the lighting and all will change...i promise! right now we are focused on the floor). Out these two windows to the north is about 15' of grass and then a mountainside, so little light comes in. To the left is a long wall with a door to patio, a bay window and another small window. As you can see, I have a lot of different stains we tested. I went a bit crazy...I just don't know what to do.

Here is the room when we moved in (yellow walls/b&w floor, etc). Below that is after we primed it and added some cheap rugs just to cover up the b&w floor. We are not fans of the floor for anything but a kitchen or bathroom. Plus, the vinyl tile was scuffed, scratched and old. Now, the walls are primed white and the floor needs stain.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you want to share (please be kind, we are not professionals, obviously. We just want to make the home livable again and eventually gut this whole room...but that's another story for another time ) :)

Comments (9)