Where is the COOKING header???

lizbeth-gardener

At some point when formats changed with Houzz they changed the Cooking header of the cooking forum to: Home and Garden Discussions. Why? It is still listed on the sidebar as Cooking and the topic is still cooking and food. Quite often when I switch from one forum to another I think I've hit the wrong button. Anyone else notice this?

SaveComment31Like
Comments (31)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

Click the "Cooking" button at the top of the thread. It should take you back to the index, with the Cooking header intact.

1 Like Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
CA Kate z9

This has been titled Home and Garden Discussions for quite awhile. I never understood why they changed the title.... because it's not correct. At least we know who we are!

Kate

Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
plllog

Mine has always said Cooking and still does. Occasionally, there's drift and it'll say a group heading like that, but the cooking button at the top of the thread always brings it back.

bbstx

Mine hasn’t said “Cooking” in a good while. However, Cooking is still listed as one of my topics in the panel on the left of the screen. This is what I get when I choose “Cooking” from either the left panel or from the gray button at the top of the thread.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Did you check the URL - is it houzz.com or gardenweb.com?

olychick

I think carolb is right...when you're on gardenweb the cooking title is there but when you're on houzz.com it's the other.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
plllog

Oh! That makes sense. I'm always on Gardenweb.

lizbeth-gardener

Carol: I cleared my history and cache and ended up having to sign in again and can't seem to get back to garden web. That is indeed my problem; I am on houzz, rather than garden web. Thanks for clearing that up. I still think houzz, like garden web, should say cooking

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

You should be able to change the URL to gardenweb. Just replace 'houzz' with 'gardenweb' and refresh the page.

lizbeth-gardener

Carolb, I can do that. What I can't do is post on garden web, since I cleared things. I keep signing in with wrong PW or something is wacky. It's not a big issue. I can get in on houzz. I just didn't understand why they didn't have cooking for the title on the cooking forum.

Save    
annie1992

lizbeth, I've also had some problems signing in.

I can't sign in if I click the "sign in" phrase at the top right, I have to go to a thread, click "sign up", put in my email and password and then it'll sign me in. If I try the "sign in" process it'll just give me a message that "houzz has redirected too many times, try clearing your cookies", but it doesn't matter what I do with cookies or anything else, I can't sign in. I have to go to the "sign up" process and use my current email and password, and it takes me to my already established account.

Annie

2 Likes Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
cookebook

Annie, that same exact thing happened to me when I had to get a new computer at work. It took me weeks to get back on.

plllog

Now the cat's amongst the pigeons! Someone has been "fixing" it and made a right mess.

olychick

I can no longer (as of the last few minutes) get to anything on gardenweb. They all now default to houzzzzzz

laceyvail 6A, WV

For months now the only way I can get to cooking and kitchen table is by googling them. This morning that technique failed. Though the google said it was cooking or KT, clicking on the link took me somewhere else entirely in Houzz. I finally got to both by clicking on recipes or recipe exchange and then finding one that listed cooking and clicking on that.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Just had issues for the first time this morning. I added a couple threads to my 'favorites'. They link directly. My usual labeled 'cooking' brings up a weird group of posts now.

olychick

I think they eliminated the GW URL. My bookmarks no longer work for any that accessed through GW. But if you get into any forum, if you go to the sidebar on the left that shows the forums (topics) you follow, if you click on those it will take you to the forum on the houzzzzz URL. Then make a new bookmark and you should be good to go. Except for the loss of the preferred format of GW.

John Liu

I have been thinking about getting a server and forum software to host our cooking chats in case Houzz ever shuts the Cooking Forum down. That seems unlikely but you never know. I’ve seen some online communities vanish unexpectedl.

So, make a note of my email: johnliu@earthlink.net. If the CF ever disappears, contact me and I’ll try to launch Plan B.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by lizbeth-gardener
neely

Thank you so much John. Noted your email address if ever it comes to that.

My efforts to get back here the last few days have shown how distressing it would be to lose all contact with everyone so suddenly.

Jasdip

I've made new bookmarks by saving the new Houzz url. Renaming them Cooking, Kitchen Table etc and deleting the old gardenweb ones. Once we get here it's all the same, it's just a new url address.

plllog

Thank-you, John! I was just thinking this morning of doing something similar, but my tech skills are way out of date. There's also the alternative board, the name of which I can't remember, but Lars is (or has been) on it, and the Facebook group. The zeitgeist changes a lot when moves to new formats are made. I think having our own spot might keep us alive, and maybe bring back some old friends.

KatieC

So... I have remained signed in, but the bookmark I have always used goes to a search for 'Cooking' :

Search results for <span class='search-keyword'>"cooking"</span>

Join home and garden discussions on Houzz. Explore subjects like remodeling, interior decorating, landscape design, gardening and more.

John, that would be great...Plan B. I have enough technical skills to be dangerous. I looked into free forums for other groups and they're, well, meh. And cumbersome. And people got disconcerted when things were different. I was on a cooking chat many many years ago that went down. Regrouped on FB. Again...meh. It'd be fun to try something new.

HU-685485614

I'm so glad we're talking about this. On my laptop, the cooking forum has disappeared! I can access on my tablet and my name is now a series of numbers. Houzz just keep referring me to old discussions but the cooking exists no more!

Islay

lizbeth-gardener

Thanks for your offer, John. When I can't get signed back in again, I kind of panic, thinking I know all these people, but I don't know their names or how to contact except thru this site. I will keep your email, just in case.

Save    
Sooz

I'm having the same problems as of 4-14-2021. I also appreciate your offer, John!

Smiles,

Sooz

artemis_ma

Thanks, John. I am finding having to detour through the main houzz page to get here a waste of time and energy.

graywings123

The same has happened with The Kitchen Table forum

KatieC

Now they're just messin' with me.

John Liu

I can’t even figure out how to post a new thread. When the step comes to select the “topic”, “cooking” doesn’t appear on the list of choices.

olychick

John if you are in Cooking it will post here, you don't have to select it. You can select other forums to add, but it will post in Cooking if you start it here.

After you've done the title and filled in the message and you go to the next page, in the heading where it also says Search Topics, you will see Cooking with an x next to it in case you don't want to post in Cooking you can x it out.

Sooz

I started a new thread yesterday/early this morning on Cooking but it doesn't show up. When I click on my bookmark, I get stuff from 2019, 2020 etc, nothing from 2021 AND my post doesn't show up unless I do a Search with whatever newfangled feature that appears to the left of the webpage.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design A Cook’s 6 Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances
An avid home chef answers tricky questions about choosing the right oven, stovetop, vent hood and more
Full Story
Remodeling Guides Where to Splurge, Where to Save in Your Remodel
Learn how to balance your budget and set priorities to get the home features you want with the least compromise
Full Story
Bailey’s Gardens & Landscaping is a premier landscape and garden design firm serving Northern Virginia,... Read More