SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
benjamin_cowden

Need help with remodeling a cramped kitchen

Benjamin Cowden
3 years ago

We have a tiny kitchen separated from an open living/dining area by a small section of load-bearing wall. Even the original blueprints show a post instead of the wall, but I think it was changed due to budget and wanting to squeeze in a dishwasher. At any rate, we'd like to remove the wall, and leave either a peninsula or an island, to open up the kitchen to the rest of the space. The dilemma revolves around whether to move the range to the peninsula, where a hood might partially clog up the openness (unless we use a downdraft system?), or leave the range where it is and just push the fridge and dishwasher against the exterior wall, leaving an island. I'm sure there are other solutions as well, and I'd love to hear them.

It's not a big house to begin with, and we're on a tight budget. Looking at discussions of downdraft systems, I'd be nervous about how much money/effort it would take to get it done right. We do cook a lot, so good ventilation is important. The main bonus of the Peninsula option is the breakfast bar. There wouldn't be enough room, I think, to have stools around the island in that option. Both options involve extending the kitchen floor into the living area, which doesn't seem like a big deal..?

I'd love to hear opinions on the options pictured in the CAD models shown, or if you have any other options I haven't thought of.

Comments (13)