SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ndini

construction deposit and bank terms

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am hoping to get some thoughts here. I am an architect and have been working on designing my own home for a while. I found a builder I liked about a year and a half ago. They engaged with me extremely well, had a good interface to track expenses, they were prompt whenever I needed help and in general, I liked them enough to move forward with the build.. the last few months were spent ironing out the design, securing financing, etc and things were getting exciting. we even agreed to a 10% deposit in light of COVID and the fact that I had a few specialty items in my design that needed to be ordered.

One of the terms that my bank laid out was that they were not going to pay for materials till they got to the site. Our GC (with whom we signed the contract) has a big issue with this. Apparently, the banks that they have worked with gets them paid upon seeing the invoice(proof of ordering). Our bank insisted that these materials need to be on the site to be considered part of the property and told us that these policies were in place for our protection as much as theirs.

The builder's concern is that things (in COVID time) are taking too long to come in and their money would be stuck. I helped out with finding vendors that did not require deposits etc.

Now for the real issue - The builder tells me that there may be a situation where he 'runs -out of my deposit (120k) without being reimbursed by the bank. He said that it takes a lot to keep the job site running and order materials. My question is - should'nt the running of the job site be done via the builder's line of credit and not my deposit? shouldn't the regular construction materials (siding, door hardware, smoke alarms, etc ) be purchased via the builder's line of credit?

Should I be nervous that the builder does not have a strong line of credit and is depending on my deposit to make these purchases and run the job site?

I spoke to a lot of people who told me that I did have reason to worry. I like these guys but is this a red flag? this is a big investment for me and I am a bundle of nerves now. Just want to do the right thing.

Comments (9)