SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
johntgarner

Walkway design help!

johntgarner
6 months ago

We built our house a few years ago and we are planning on doing landscaping this fall. In the meantime we are planning on adding more concrete to out driveway. It is gravel and we plan on pouring some every year until we get to the road. We would like to add a walkway to the front door when we pour the next section. We don't thibk we want to just a straight 90 degree corner to the front door. Any ideas?

Comments (9)

• johntgarner
    Original Author
    6 months ago

• Charlie Noway
    6 months ago

Could you make it curved and then put a small garden between the path and the house? Put some waterhose down to layout the path. It’ll help you visualize.

• krnuttle
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

If it were my house I would do the following. First I would designate the area between the yellow line and the house, as garden and plant the areas with low flowering bushes and perennial flowers. (I would NOT put in Box Woods or similar bushes ) I would create a low (6" high ) wall (red line) to define the flower beds. I would add a pad and sidewalk in front of the house that follow the curve of the flower bed. AND add second walk around the back to the patio. The second walk would make it inviting to guest who come to your house for activities that you have planned on the patio.

You did not asked But before I went too far with the flower beds and concrete work, I would gets at least a half dozen trees planted in the front yard to frame the house. This is a long term project that will have a greater effect on your house than the driveway and sidewalks. Soon you start the trees the sooner they will affect the landscape, and define your property. Since this is a expensive project I may postpone the concrete works for a couple of years and use the funds to plant trees.

PS: you have a very nice looking house. I looks like you have plenty of land that you can eventually have a park like environment around you home.

• johntgarner
    Original Author
    6 months ago

That is the general idea we are after. Just not sure how to lay out the flower beds/sidewalk. Trees are planned for this fall. It was a pasture that someone tried to subdivide for years and we were lucky enough to get our hands on it. 22 acres all together, but other than some fence rows we have 1 tree!

• krnuttle
    6 months ago

Quote "Just not sure how to lay out the flower beds/sidewalk"

Not sure what you are asking. Lay out = Shape?? Lay out = planting?? Lay out = specific plants in specific areas?? Lay out = composte/top soil??

• johntgarner
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Lay out meaning shape.

• krnuttle
    6 months ago

As for the shape of the garden area, it definitely would not be little squares and rectangles. Straight lines are bad in gardens..

Look at the front of the house and using a garden hose as suggest a couple of post previously, lay the hose on the ground where and in the shape you think the garden should grow. Look at it for a couple of days and make any adjustment to the shape as looks right.

Start at the drive way and curve it around the house, worm it across the front of the house. I would make garden shape such that the garden funneled you to the slab in front of the porch. Do the same for the other sides You may find that a corner turret shaped curve would look nice on both ends of the house. see drawing.

In the you may consider plant taller shrubs in the end bumps and some lower shrubs if varying height between them and the slab. If you want something that takes minimum care plant Laura Pedlum, Nandina with rose of Sharon on both ends. plant some perennials in between. We have recently learned of Woods poppies, they produce yellow flowers through most of the summer. (Raleigh NC area) They do not need a lot of sun

If you have a public garden or nature area visit it for ideas for you own garden

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

I would like to know a bit more about what you are dreaming of for landscaping. Your home is very formal loooking so you could lean toward a much mor formal type landscaping too. How much work are you willing to put it once the landscaping is done? I find on large properties most flower beds are way too small scaled I agree to start with trees to give the look you want at the end. These are 2 very different feels for your home which is the one that makes sense to you.Do you want to see all of the landscaping at once when guests drive up or more the feel of secret gardens that you discover when you walk around. IMO the driveway you use should be a very separate driveway form the guest one since I honestly find the garage way too farm like for the house .So as best as you can hide the garage from public view and put in a driveway to the main house from the road in a sweeping curve though trees that says this is where guests go not to the barn looking garage . I aslo think the driveway cn be a curve back out to the road if you entertain a lot that gives guests the ability to leave whenever they want. That whole area then needs to be inviting .I do think money spent for a landscape designer will be your best bet You can have a long term plan IMO the best gardens develop over time .

• Sergio Jemas
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I am also renovating the house. A start has already been made, but much remains to be done. Now I am working with partitions and there was a problem, I did not know what is the best way to make them, from cement slabs or drywall. A builder friend of mine said it was better to use cement slabs. Unfortunately, I already bought drywall. I started looking for where to buy cheap cement slabs and found https://www.mgnbm.co.uk/plastering-drylining/plasterboard-coving/tile-backer-board/. Now it remains to finish the partitions and apply the putty. I think it is worth glueing the wallpaper or not? I read in the article that this is the last century and no one glues wallpaper, it is better to paint or make decorative bricks.