SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_ewald

Ornamental, barrier, & fruit tree recommendations?

Rachel Ewald
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hey all,

So it seems that my SO has decided to buy a shithole of a house right next door to work (we actually both work on said farm, but his work weeks can be upward of 80+ hours in the summer, so I understand the appeal). It's right on the outside of a slight curve of a major state route. There are two large trees on the west side of the property but otherwise, the yard is wide open (hay/row crop fields surrounding it) which I absolutely hate. So we have work to do...

Central, OH zone 6a.

1. I would love some suggestions for trees to place on either side of the driveway. Preferably something spring flowering, but not set on this. Needs to be hardy as I'm willing to bet it will get at least trace amounts of salt from the road.

2. Suggestions for barrier/privacy type trees/bushes we could utilize on the property. I really don't know much about this topic. I'm not so concerned about the north end (would be the backside) of the property as it's open to the farm's hayfields, but I don't like the sides of the property being wide open, so something that will provide a wind/visual barrier, doesn't need to be super tall.

3. The fun part: fruit tree suggestions? I have the vague idea to create a line of fruit trees along the west side of the property (bordered by a pasture fenceline) but again am open to suggestions on this. I have some houseplant and vegetable experience, but not much of a fruit tree person.

4. Regarding berry bushes (raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, etc); any suggestions on these &/or where/how to strategically place them on the property? Do these make good barriers?

I promised I would make the best of things & I'm a dreamer, planner, & doer. I like projects. That being said, any thoughts/advice/recommendations/information would be greatly appreciated, I love to learn. Screenshot of the property from Google maps. Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)