SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althea_kearney

Trim and gutter colors for our MCM Ranch?

Althea Kearney
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello Houzz folks - wanted to ask for a little more advice. We are about to replace the roof on the house in the picture below. Since this picture was taken, we have made some other changes inspired in part by folks on Houzz!

First, we painted our garage door Urbane Bronze as suggested by one of the commenters here. We LOVE what it does to ground the front facade of our ranch and it really brings up the darker brown and black in our brick. Please pardon the crappy photos (and the overgrowth!) in this picture, which was taken as the first coat of paint was drying. Looked even better after the second coat!

(No idea why this picture keeps coming in sideways!)

We replaced all of the exterior lights with matte black and glass fixtures, except for the gooseneck shown in the garage door picture above. That one we kept as is.

Next we tackled the front door situation. I'd always wanted a vintage solid wood MCM door to match the age of the house. A friend found a PERFECT fit at a local Restore several years ago, and I finally got around to rehabbing it. After many hours sending, several tubes of wood filler, new glass and some paint, we had a vintage deep blue 3 lite door with black hardware. The color we used was Salty Dog by Sherwin Williams, which looks absolutely beautiful against the brick and the bronze storm door.

Now that we have brought more deep bronze tones throughout, I think we have decided on an Owens Corning Duration roof in the color Black Sable.

My question is.... Should we keep the gutters/downspouts and other trim white?

Windows are white, soffits are currently white and we will be removing the shutters altogether.

We were thinking that maybe a softer grey or greige might work, but we like the white as well. The lighter line at the roof edge really helps to make our very large roof feel less heavy.

So I think I have three questions:

1. Which colors for the trim / gutter / downspouts would you choose?

2. The soffit color being bright white actually contributes to glare at sunset in the main living space. Any thoughts on a great soffit color other than bright white to go with our color scheme

3. Last, does anyone have any thoughts on shutters that would look better? We really dislike the ones there now, but I'm a little afraid it may look too stark without anything at all.

Thanks Houzz!

Comments (19)