SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

2nd COVID-19 Injection

Received my 2nd injection today. My daughter gets hers next week. Then 2 weeks after that, we are planning to go to an actual grocer store for the first time in over a year. Who would have thought that going to the grocery store to shop could made one happy!

Comments (66)

• Rose Pekelnicky
    3 years ago

I had the Pfizer. No reaction after the first shot. The day after the second shot I woke early with a low grade fever and felt achy, chilled and weak. The next day though I was fine. Took Tylenol for the fever and aches.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

We both got our second Pfizers on March 5. No problems at all. We have been going to the market and Trader Joe's all along. Just less often with more organized planning. Trader Joe's has been especially easy.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked chloebud
  • Related Discussions

Did you get your second Covid vaccine?

Q

Comments (82)
    When I got my 1st dose on Friday, I was given information about the CDC's app for reporting side effects, called V-safe. As part of this, the CDC will contact you via the app to ask how you are, any problems, any illness. I hope that any of you who have had side effects (I had a rash the next day, that lasted about 16 hours) have downloaded it and are participating. This is how we can help to know just how effective the vaccines are as well as the issues people are having with them.
    ...See More

Covid vaccine - what kind of facility did you or will you get it at?

Q

Comments (77)
    We're Kaiser members, altho they suggest signing up with the county as well and just taking the first appt that comes up. We're both over 65 so just got our 2nd shots with Kaiser. Takes a bit of standing in line, but they're pretty efficient about it overall. No worse than waiting for a flu shot at peak times, LOL. One volunteer gives her own speech in the after-shot waiting area. I was told this but my spouse, who went on a much more crowded weekend, did NOT get told this by other volunteers working that day: SAVE THAT WHITE CARD! Even if you get a shot from Kaiser or Blue Shield (or wherever), this is a federal vaccination program. This card is the ONLY proof you will have that you have been partially/fully vaccinated. Zip, nada, nothing else. If you lose it, it CANNOT be replaced. There is no federal identification database - V-safe, the CDC's cellphone app (which is strictly voluntary sign-up), only tracks side effects per mfg type/batch # for statistical purposes. Thus, even tho we got our shots through Kaiser (showing our membership cards etc.) our assigned GPs were not involved nor aware of our vaccinations. Due to HIPAA regulations and the fact this is a federal program, Kaiser cannot issue any card replacement for its members. I would assume it is the same for any Blue Shield recipients, et. al. The volunteer suggested taking a photo of front and back of the card with your cellphone camera, so it's easily accessible. She keeps her card with her passport, in a safe place. I thought this was useful info, so hope it's of help to others.
    ...See More

Prayers please? (2nd try)

Q

Comments (85)
    I think they are both on the mend ! ! Did another grocery run for them Weds., and this time son came out to pick the stuff up. Actually had a very brief conversation with him, both of us with masks on and probably more than 6 ft. between us. Conversation also very short because he is very short of breath, he said 'they' were having trouble getting oxygen for him (whoever 'they' might be.) Text from DIL last night said he now has an oxygen machine. Text from him today said he's feeling a bit better. Then this afternoon. a text from DIL said the lady with the X-ray machine was there and setting it up. But they have to wait for the doctor to call them with the results of that. They'd been told to expect the X-ray anytime between noon and midnight today, so I think they were glad to see her that early. I have no idea what to expect in this, and I don't think they do, either. But I am feeling very hopeful at this point, for their complete recovery, hopefully fairly quickly. Thank you all again, many times over, for your prayers and positive thoughts, please keep them coming! Rusty
    ...See More

Just checked our state's Covid 19 website

Q

Comments (8)
    According to the Mayo clinic Covid website every state in the country except Alaska has an average new daily case rate below 25 per 100K people. The national average in 9 per 100K. My state is 3.2 per. You can drill down to the county level as well by clicking on the state. Just a few months ago during the Omicron surge the entire US map was black (highest level - 150+ per 100K). Mayo Covid map I'm going to wait a few months before I get the second booster unless there is another surge causing cases to increase again. I'm targeting August or September.
    ...See More
  • wiscokid
    3 years ago

You're lucky - our TJ's has been an absolute horsepucky-show. They only let in a handful of people and so the line is always insane.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked wiscokid
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

wiscokid, our TJ's is pretty much back to normal. There's no longer a line to get in, but the few times we had to wait always went fast. Once inside it was quiet and nice with the employees as pleasant as always. We're in Southern CA where there are TJ's everywhere, so that could make a difference with the lines. We have two of them less than a few miles from home in each direction.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@maifleur03, nurseries are next on our list, maybe in another few weeks.

@socks, I totally agree with you. We plan to keep on wearing or masks and practicing social distancing and staying at home for the most part.

@morz8 - Washington Coast and @Lars and @ HU-753479426 (Seagrass), I know my daughter and I both will really have to discipline ourselves not to put all of that beautiful produce in the grocery cart, as well as too much from the meat department. Don’t want to end up throwing my dollars into the trash bin. I have been doing all of my ordering online and picking up curbside, also pick up prescriptions curbside. I must say, one can get spoiled to that and free delivery. Truly hope they don’t stop offering once the pandemic has extremely curtailed.

@eld6161, I received the Moderna vaccine. The first one I was only aware slightly of the exact injection site; it didn’t really hurt, it just made itself known. With this second one, I awoke with a bit of a sore area about the size of a ping-pong ball, but so far so good. Hope it stays that way.

My daughter had the Pfizer vaccine. She did experience quite a sore arm and a headache, in fact she took off the next day because she knew she could get no work done. Her second one will be the 31st and she is hoping to have no ill effects.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

FWIW, my strategy for TJs has been to go 1X weekly, about 30-40 minutes before closing on either a Sunday or Wed./Thurs.. Crowds are thinned out by then, no line and parking lot is pretty empty.

We have only 1 TJs in the whole county, so it gets pretty insane under normal circumstances.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

Carol, I used to shop at the original TJ's here in Pasadena in the late 70's. At that time it was the only TJ's in the entire country. They've come a long way since then! I've been a big fan for many years and give them even more credit for how they've handled things over the past year.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hmm, I have a different recollection of the time frame. I remember shopping at Trader Joes in the late 1970s, as I remember my parents did, and we never went to a store in Pasadena. Where the stores were we went to I don't remember but Pasadena and that area was not a part of SoCal any of us ever went to. Except for Rose Bowl games occasionally.

Also, the German individual who owned one of the two German Aldi pair bought TJs in 1979. There were a fair number of stores, though I think maybe just in SoCal, at that time.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • jakkom
    3 years ago

chloebud, I remember my mom taking me to the original TJ store when I came down to LA one years to visit her - it seemed more like an open warehouse health-food type market than the glitzy well-lit 'pre-pkg'ed everything' stacked shelves of today's TJs.

We drove a bit of a distance to it as I recall my mom saying she only went out that far once in a while, but she liked that they had stuff nobody else did. The trouble was that in those days, you might find something you really liked, but by the time you returned it was gone and never showed up again!

This was definitely several years before Aldi bought them. All the original TJ fans were so nervous that the new owners would ruin TJ's atmosphere of irreverent serendipity.

I've always been impressed that instead Aldi's money and hands-off style enabled TJ management to create and exploit a niche of specialty grocery retailing unlike any other.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked jakkom
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

jakkom it was bought by Theo Albrecht individually, not "Aldi". He owned Aldi North at the time (his brother owned Aldi South). He would have apparently had the option to have his company Aldi North make the purchase but he didn't do that, it was an individual investment. No "Aldi" money involved as far as what has ever been publicly disclosed. To their credit, they've kept the funky, one-off business model that made TJs a phenomenon originally and have only improved upon it. They've done a great job with it and deserve the success it has had over these now 40 years of ownership.

Something that's a source of ongoing confusion - when the brothers decided their acrimony was best handled by splitting their father's company that they co-owned into two separate pieces they would each own individually, that's when Aldi North and Aldi South were created. The North and South refer to the regions of Germany that each would have the exclusive right to. They also split the countries of the world into territories to assign one or the other the exclusive right to do business in each as "Aldi". The confusion is that the US is the territory of Aldi South, it's the one that owns and runs the extensive American Aldi network. Trader Joes, while owned by the family/owners of Aldi North, doesn't use the Aldi name in the US because it doesn't own the right to do that.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

I seldom shop at TJ's. Even before Covid the stores were over crowded which made shopping difficult.

My walking buddies have all received their second vaccinations and we've already booked our first outing for mid-April. Lunch at a local restaurant with a covered patio and heaters. Woo-hoo!

I have been careful this past year - keeping the appropriate distance, wearing a mask, washing hands, avoiding crowds etc. I did order groceries online for about a month but when I saw how empty the stores were and that all the shoppers were following guidelines i abandoned that and started shopping in store. It has been helpful that DH has a common sense approach to the pandemic and the medical knowledge to cut through the hysteria.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked maire_cate
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL, @maire_cate. My daughter and I were just talking about we might also have lunch at our favorite restaurant. Haven't been there since September of 2019. We have our mouths watering just thinking about it.

I have never been a fan of TJs. Have been only twice before COVID hit and was truly not impressed at all. Neither of my grown granddaughters are impressed by them either. So they are one place I haven't missed going to at all, and truly have no reason to go back based on my experiences.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

"Hmm, I have a different recollection of the time frame."

The first TJ's opened in 1967 in Pasadena on South Arroyo Parkway. I lived around the corner from it in the late 70's. I was unaware of other locations being open at the time, unless they were still Pronto Markets that Joe Coulombe had purchased. Yes, Coulombe sold to the Albrecht family in 1979 but remained as CEO. TJ's didn't expand out of CA until the early 90's. I remember it was Phoenix because I had family there who were pretty happy about it.

• Lars
    3 years ago

Eld1616, I got the Moderna vaccine, and my doctor believes that the rash I developed shortly after getting the vaccine is a reaction to the vaccine and therefore will go away on its own, which it is starting to do now. The steroid shot that I got yesterday really seemed to help, but I am still feeling tired after that shot.

When I moved to Culver City on Feb 1, 1989, my apartment was three blocks from the Trader Joe's on Washington Blvd, across the street from what had previously been the MGM Studios (later Lorimar, TriStar, and then Sony). I could see the MGM lion from my kitchen window, but Sony removed that much later. Anyway, TJ's appeared to have been there for a few years when I moved to CC, and I started shopping there because it was close. All of the TJ's that I've been to have had narrow aisles and were crowded. I do feel comfortable going back to one now, but I have avoided them for the past year, just as I have avoided the farmers' markets. I especially look forward to going back to farmers' markets, but I will have to go alone until my brother gets vaccinated.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Lars
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I just got scheduled for my first jab next Wednesday (Pfizer). The location is about 50 miles from my house but only 10 minutes from my office so I will work in the office that day instead of WFH. That should make my second jab around April 21.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • fiveholetarget
    3 years ago

Got second Pfizer shot on Monday. No side effects except for a burning arm at the injection point for about 15 hours. First shot also gave no problem except for a sore arm and little bit of tiredness the next day

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked fiveholetarget
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

Finally got an appointment for my husband. It’s about 38 minutes on a highway.

Very difficult getting one closer. I think I just lucked out when I see scheduled mine.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked eld6161
  • matti5
    3 years ago

I got my second shot (Moderna) last Thursday. Within 5 hours I started developing every side effect listed. I couldn't take any pain relievers due to the nausea and vomiting. Started feeling back to normal on Sunday. I had zero reaction to the first shot. Not complaining about the side effects, as I am beyond grateful for the vaccine.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked matti5
  • WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the third day after my 2nd injection on Monday. Arm still a little bit sore, but not much and still limited to an area about the size of a quarter. Got both shots in my left arm, sleep on my left side, and have had no problems doing so. As @matti5, said, "I am beyound grateful for the vaccine."

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

I got my second injection on Friday afternoon. Had trouble sleeping Friday night, woke up about every 2 hours. By Saturday AM had fever, chills, raging headache, body and joint aches (especially low back), photophobia, severe fatigue, nausea, and vomited once. Tylenol helped minimally. What a miserable day! I rarely got out of bed. Couldn't read or watch TV. Could barely drink water even. Fortunately had a sleep mask from my last overseas flight which helped a lot with the eyes. Ended up taking a pain pill in early evening because the headache was not abating - that let me sleep for about 5 hours.

Still had a strong headache this AM, and a stiff neck, but it is finally fading after a big dose of ibuprofen. My elbow below the injection site was oddly stiff and painful - like arthritis - this am too, but that is also nearly gone.

Sincerely hoping that no boosters will be needed. And yes, I am also grateful to have gotten it, despite the misery!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    3 years ago

raee, just curious, do you know which vaccine (brand) shots you got?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Got my second injection (Pfizer) yesterday. And like the first, never felt a thing! The needle gauge is so tiny it is unnoticeable. Woke up this morning with zero aftereffects. Barely even any tenderness at the injection site!

Other than being able to gather with a few more family members who previously outside my 'bubble', there is (or will be) no significant difference in my life. Have routinely visited any stores as needed, including my local nursery (an absolute necessity for me!), got my hair cut as required and have met family and friends for meals out in accordance to whatever restrictions were currently in place. Still masking and social distancing of course, but things have opened up enough in my area that one can pretty much resume most normal activity.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Ded tired
    3 years ago

Second Moderna shot yesterday. I had a really sore arm at the site of the injection. Today I have muscle aches and some chills. I think the muscle aches may be partly due to having done some yard cleanup yesterday. A whole winter of sitting on my butt has not done me any favors..

Book club is meeting live and in person in April. That will be weird.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Ded tired
  • Elizabeth
    3 years ago

DH and I have had our second Moderna shots within the past two weeks. No side effects at all, though my arm was a bit sore, his wasn't.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Elizabeth
  • chisue
    3 years ago

I had my second Modena March 5 and had a sore, hot, red arm down to the elbow for two weeks. The silver dollar bruise is now gone, but I noticed today that the bruised area still itches a little. DH had zero reaction; same shot; same day; same doc.

My hairdresser cancelled on me last week for the first time in 15 years. She was feverish and felt 'flu-y' after getting her second shot the day before my appointment.

No 'throwing away masks' here! The virus is far from vanquished, and the new variants are affecting more younger people. If only the nation had jumped on this at the start, we'd be more vaccinated and the variants wouldn't have had so much time to develop.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked chisue
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    3 years ago

VgQn got her 2nd Moderna shot 48 hours ago, I got mine 24 hours ago. She experienced a sore arm (as per usual) and had a slight chills feeling with a dull headache. She seems to be recovering from those symptoms now.

After 24 hours my arm is very sore today, and I woke up feeling like I have a partial hangover, nothing terrible, but just an overall weakness and head fog. We're glad to get this behind us now.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Just got my 2nd moderna this a.m. So far so good!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    3 years ago

Let us know how it goes Annie, I felt fine yesterday, 24 hours later now this morning is the worst of it. I'll probably be back to normal by dinner time or at breakfast tomorrow morning.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

My age group 60-69 opened up this week for pre-registrations. I registered and I got an email last night to book my appt. I was shocked that I can get mine next Thurs already; I figured there'd be a several week wait.

The AZ isn't available in our region so I'm getting the Pfizer. I've heard that the second shot has flu-like side-effects/symptoms.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Jasdip
  • sealavender
    3 years ago

I'm going for shot #1 today and am thrilled. Lars, you and I must have been almost neighbors at one point. I lived in Palms and walked to the TJ in Culver City at that same time.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked sealavender
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Jasdip, I received the Pfizer vaccine - both doses - and experienced NO side effects at all. Same with everyone else in my area receiving that injection - none to very mild side effects. The Moderna vaccine seems to be the one that has generated more frequent and more severe side effects with the second injection (although my sister rec'd that one and also had none).

• cooper8828
    3 years ago

I just got home from getting my second shot. Drinking plenty of water and hoping for the best, but I'm so glad to have it done.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked cooper8828
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Don't forget to move your arm around a lot....helps reduce pain and inflammation in that arm, as well as drinking extra water.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

We got our second Pfizer shot on Wednesday. Other than a sore arm about 12 hours later, no ill effects at all.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked sushipup1
  • stacey_mb
    3 years ago

I just got my first shot of Pfizer yesterday and today have a bit of pain at the injection site and feeling a bit tired. I was beyond happy to be vaccinated. I had gone to the super center vaccination clinic and was amazed to see the hundreds of people assembled there. I was struck by how the vaccination drive is such a historical event and remember as a child DF taking us to get our polio vaccines. He had suffered a mild case so knew how important it was to be protected.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked stacey_mb
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"I've heard that the second shot has flu-like side-effects/symptoms."

I think that relates more to the Moderna vaccine than the Pfizer.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Lindsey_CA
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

Just tossing this out there because yesterday I read the recommendation not to drink anything alcoholic after having the shots because it apparently made reactions worse. I was so happy that I received my first one that I thought about toasting the occasion but did not. Those on here that had reactions do you remember if you toasted the occasion?

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked maifleur03
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

I generally have at least one glass of wine every evening....sometimes more :-) No reactions.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

^Ditto to gardengal's comment. :-)

• moosemac
    3 years ago

I am very excited to get my second Pfizer shot this Sunday. By the end of April my entire family will be vaccinated and we can finally visit with my 90+ year old in laws. I haven't been anywhere other than work and home since March of 2020. I am looking forward to going grocery shopping. LOL

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked moosemac
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

My shots were Pfizer (in response to someone's question above) and no, no alcohol for me for weeks prior. But, I suspected that I had had a case last April - perhaps that had something to do with my strong reaction to the second shot.

I was still rather easily fatigued on Monday and Tuesday, and mild arm tenderness until Thursday, but all resolved now.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Zoe 29
    3 years ago

I got my second Pfizer shot on Tuesday. Wednesday was very tired, but no other reaction. Overnight though developed pain in the armpit of the arm I had the injection in. Apparently lymph node swelling. I was wishing I had gotten the shot in my right arm since I am used to sleeping on my left side. That bothered me last night also, but seems to be fine now.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Zoe 29
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I just booked my second Pfizer shot for April 27.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

It's over 24 hrs since my 2nd moderna and as of now, only my left arm is sore. It throbbed a little at night but wasn't bad. Otherwise, I'm doing fine. I'm feeling tired today, but that is probably more due to the fact that I only slept about 3 1/2 hrs last night than anything else.

• cooper8828
    3 years ago

I had my second Pfizer shot yesterday morning. My arm is a little sore and I'm kind of tired (not fatigued). If that's it I'm going to be very grateful.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked cooper8828
  • Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

Hubs and I have both had both doses of Pfizer, and both of us got both doses in our left arms. I'm 3½ weeks past my second dose, and Hubs is 4½ weeks past. The days after his second dose he felt really tired, but that was pretty much his only reaction. After my first dose my arm was sore that afternoon, which continued through the next day. After my second dose, my arm was really sore, and it lasted about 6 days. I was also very thirsty the afternoon and evening after my second dose, and tired the following day.

My younger sister has gotten both doses of the Pfizer on the same days I got mine. She reported no after effects at all, but she has so many other day-to-day complaints that a sore arm and/or tiredness probably wouldn't register with her.

My older sister and her husband have both received both doses. My brother-in-law got Pfizer on the same days my Hubs got his injections. I don't recall him having any reactions. My sister got the Moderna vaccine, and today she is one week past her second dose. She said that after the first dose, she had a headache and the next day didn't feel well and was tired. When she got the second dose (same arm as the first dose), she said that she immediately got a headache and an all-over feeling of malaise, so she went home and went to bed. She was also very thirsty. But the next day she was fine.

Different people have different, if any, reactions to the vaccine, but for the most part, the reactions don't last more than a day or so and aren't intolerable.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Lindsey_CA
  • ghostlyvision
    3 years ago

My 2nd Pfizer shot is on the 21st, only a 2 day mildly sore arm with the first shot (Annie's right, keep it mobile and it'll hurt less), so I expect more side effects with the 2nd, but so looking forward to being immunized against the worst ravages of this modern day plague.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked ghostlyvision
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Slightly sore arm w/ first Phizer (Jan. 30th); only a bit more sore with the 2nd dose (Feb. 20th). DH had a slightly sore arm and chills w/ both shots.

We just got the 2nd dose of Shingrix earlier this week. Both of us had a lot more sore arm after the Shringrix than after the Covid shot. I'm a side sleeper; the arm pain woke me up the first night and hurt enough that I 'thought' about getting up for some ibuprofen but rolled over & slept on the other side rather than get up.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked ci_lantro
  • Chi
    3 years ago

I received my 2nd Moderna vaccine today. I had a rough time with the first one so I'm just waiting nervously for any side effects to start.

They used one of those clear circle bandages where the needle goes right through and when I removed it I noticed a few clear drops on the plastic. Anyone know if that's a problem? I assume they account for a little bit of leakage at the injection site. Hopefully I still got a full dose.

• jane__ny
    3 years ago

I got my second Moderna yesterday. I think I'm fine, still have Shingles pain on my head which makes me feel bad, so I'm assuming the vaccine didn't cause me any problems.

I'm just glad to be done with this.

Jane