SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scott_black90

Creating a level sand base for Stock Tank Pool on an uneven patio.

Scott Black
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

I have joined the ranks of the many folks who have created mini-pools/hot tubs from galvanized steel stock tanks. We have the tank located on a underused patio of river rock that we don't want to remove or dig up. Patio has slight variations in height from the natural river rock and is NOT level. Nearly every typical install I have seen involves digging into the ground and then filling with paver sand which is then leveled to create a uniform base

vs. building from the ground up which is our situation.

Currently I have the tank situated on gravel that supports a number of pressurized beams that we took care to level. It has worked okay, but it does not provide uniform support under foot in the tank (you know when you are on a beam vs not), and I am also not a fan of how it looks aesthetically. This year, I want to remove the gravel and beams and build a new circular base of level hard packed paver sand but I am struggling to figure out how to contain several inches of sand on a base that is unlevel to begin with. My current thought is to create a kind of circular "fire pit" using tightly nested fan shaped retainer wall blocks that is slightly larger than the diameter of the tank, then filling inside the circle with several inches of paver sand on top of the uneven patio which I would then level and tamp down before placing the tank within the circle. Would this work? Other options or ideas?

I have included a few pics of current setup for reference, appreciate any advice y'all can offer.

Scott

Comments (9)