SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Homemade diet tonic water

Lars
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I finished making some diet tonic water today - it takes a couple of days, including the time to make the quinine tincture, but once that is made, it only takes about 45 minutes.

Here's the recipe I used:

Quinine Tincture

• 6 grams powdered cinchona bark
  • 150 ml Everclear

For the botanicals

• 20 grams citric acid
  • 20 grams angelica root
  • 30 grams lemon peel, peeled with a vegetable peeler
  • 30 grams orange (or grapefruit) peel, peeled with a vegetable peeler
  • 30 allspice berries
  • 20 whole cloves
  • 8 grams coriander seed
  • 5 grams green cardamom pods
  • 5 grams juniper berries
  • 550 ml water
  • 48 (48 packets) grams Splenda (or Apriva)

Make the quinine tincture

1. Mix the cinchona powder with the Everclear, cover, and let sit overnight. Strain through a paper towel in a strainer being careful not to add the sediment. Discard sediment.

Make the botanical syrup

1. Add all the ingredients except Splenda to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Strain through a mesh strainer and let cool. Add the Splenda.
  2. Measure out 45 ml (1-1/2 ounces) of the quinine tincture and mix into the cooled syrup. Keep the rest of the quinine tincture in an airtight container (the tincture will keep indefinitely). Store the syrup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It should keep for at least 3 weeks. Makes 28 oz.

It is based on this recipe, but I made some revisions, including additional botanicals (allspice and cloves), and I used Splenda instead of sugar. I also simplified straining the quinine tincture - once the mixture has settled, it is not necessary to strain all of it, and you can save time and effort by discarding the sediment.

Comments (13)

Sponsored