SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_500153918

Pony wall instead of grab bar? & Tub flush against wall?

Rai F
3 years ago

So we are getting a freestanding tub (see picture of tub in showroom below). I have a couple of questions that I would like advice on. We are trying to decide where to put our faucet.

One option is to put it in a pony wall behind the tub and put the faucet on the pony wall. However, if I did this, the tub would need to be flush against the pony wall. I think this is okay because the tub is rectangular. But I read so many posts on here that state the tub needs clearance. So my questions are:

1. Is it okay for the tub to be flush against a pony wall?
  2. And if I did this, can we use the pony wall as a “support ledge” to help get in and out of tub.

The height of the tub is 24”. And I image the pony wall would be a couple of inches higher than the height of the tub, maybe 4” taller to make 28? Would be high enough to use as a support ledge too?

We could also put the tub flush against the wall and install a grab bar. If we did this, instead of the pony wall we would do a niche in the wall behind the tub or a shelf.

Finally we could pull the tub off the wall. I still need to figure out how much we can pull it off. But maybe 8”. If we did that we would put the tub filler behind the tub or off to the side. We have about 5 inch clearance from what will be the shower glass to the left side of the tub and around 16-18 inch clearance from the right side of the tub to what will be the wall for the closet.

I will see if I can sketch it all out. But was wondering if anyone have seen a pony wall double as a support ledge so that no grab bar is needed.

Comments (2)