SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Shower pan vs tub

crl_
11 years ago

We are beginning to plan a bathroom remodel in our new home. I will be posting for help with the layout and finshes soon, I am sure. But one thing I am having a bit of trouble deciding is shower pan vs tub.

We will be annexing a bit of closet space, but this will still be a very small master bath--about 6 1/2 x 8. We will either be able to fit a shower pan in or a bathtub with shower in it. Not both. In either case, we would likely be going with a 60 x 30 size.

Neither of us takes baths and my first inclination was to go with a cast iron shower pan. The other bathroom in the house is a full bathroom with tub so there would still be a tub in the house.

But the other bathroom is also bigger and so if we ever wanted to make a bathroom more accessible for mobility issues (we are planning to stay in the house for the long haul), that bathroom would be more feasible for that purpose. And then that would likely knock out the tub in that bathroom. This would most likely be many years down the road though, if ever, as we are in our early 40s.

Also, I do not want shower doors. I want a shower curtain. I am wondering if a shower curtain with a cast iron shower pan will result in too much splashing outside the shower area? And so maybe a tub would be better for that reason? Although this is for a master bath so no kid use.

Given the layout constraints, a tub will likely present the problem of the unfinished short side. I'm not thrilled with the looks of a pony wall for that purpose plus it would chew up a few more inches in an already tight space. Wish they still made those old style tubs, are they called J tubs? The ones with a long and a short side finished.

Any thoughts on how to balance these considerations? Or on anything else I should be considering in making the decision?

Thank you!

Comments (9)