SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splaker

a re-do of a front-yard bed - some suggestions on what to plant

splaker
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello folks,

I am considering a few shrubs (2 or 3?) and possibly a grass for a re-do of a smallish bed that is right out of my home. Z5, full sun, well drained, neutral soil. I am curious as to how big some of them ultimately get as I don't want them to overwhelm my front windows. I am considering a V carlesii (perhaps in the middle of the bed anchoring it, and I am going to move a fothergilla Mt Airy from my non-prominent spot in back yard (that's 3 or so years old and just doing "ok") and possibly a Henry's Garnett sweetspire also in the back yard although I am close to giving up on this shrub as it isn't performing great (likely due to my climate). I am also thinking about a grass (likely a Huron Sunrise Maiden Grass as I have a. few of these in the back). Will the carlesii overwhelm the spot? I've read they are slow growers but could eventually attain 10' or more. If so, can size be controlled with pruning?

What else could I consider? I do like the idea of a combo of shrubs with good fall color, and/or good flowering. Another one I've considered is a hydrangea like Quickfire or firelight. Those both have good flowering abilities (and long season) and decent fall color.

Below are the pic of the planting site. It used to have a big juniper and 3 globe arborvitae which virtually blotted out any sun from coming into the basement window you see in the pic. I want that sun to continue to shine through that window (especially in the winter) so whatever I plant I want to take that into consideration - though some shade (or dappled light) is fine in the summer months.

I'm open to any suggestions! Thank you for any assistance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting