SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_mcdaniel91

New House Has Inconsistent Stains and Trim -- What to Do?

Sara McDaniel
3 years ago

Hi all! This is my first ever post on Houzz, and I'm hoping to get your opinions on what to do with the wood and trim in the house we just purchased. I've attached the link to the listing. We haven't moved in yet, and we have very little furniture to worry about planning around! I'm thinking about what projects to tackle first, while there isn't furniture to deal with, and I feel like refinishing the floors, making the trim and finishings more consistent, and brightening it up a bit will be a good early project to take on. We will also be remodeling the bathroom (sooner rather than later) and the kitchen (at some point).

Listing: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1425-Highland-St-Martinez-CA-94553/18489755_zpid/ 

As you can see from the listing photos, there's quite a bit of wood in the home, but the stains/paint are sort of all over the place. The floor is darker throughout, but the trim is lighter/reddish and inconsistent throughout the home.

• Entryway and living room have all white trim (baseboards, windows, and built-ins) with the exception of the fireplace and trim on the door leading to the dining room

• Dining room has all wood trim, including two built-ins (which don't exactly match, but are close) and wainscoting

• Kitchen has all wood trim and exposed beams

• Laundry room (off the kitchen) has all white trim
  • The wood wainscoting from the dining room extends through the short passage leading to the hallway, but the rest of the hallway has white trim
  • from the dining
  • The back bedroom has all wood trim, baseboards and windows

• The bathroom has two-tone wood wainscoting and a third shade of wood trim on the window
  • The front bedroom (and attached, "hidden" mini room) have all white trim, baseboards and windows.

(you can view a 3D tour of the house to get a better picture of what I'm talking about in the listing)

I know this is confusing and all over the place, but I'm not sure what to do. It's like, 50/50 wood and white, and none of the wood matches! I love wood and natural finishings, but it's a but much as-is. Any advice on how to approach this project and make it more consistent/freshen the place up would be greatly appreciated. I'm a total newbie (first house!).

-Sara

Comments (11)